Trouble with Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DejaloLove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I thought my fishless cycle was going well until the other day. I had been adding the ammonia and saw the levels of nitrites rising. The ammonia had started dropping quickly, down to less than 1 ppm in 24 hours. I thought that the nitrates were really low still because I never noticed a spike, but after a few days of the levels remaining the same, I did some research and figured out that the amber color that the test had been turning may mean that my nitrates may be off the charts. The ammonia stopped dropping and it seemed that my cycle was stalled. The levels stayed the same for the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates for a few days. So I did 2 pretty big water changes and the nitrites dropped slightly (seems that they are still above 5 ppm, as the color purple it turns is much brighter than the highest reading the chart provides) and the nitrates are still showing up that amber color. The ammonia dropped from the water changes to nothing though. So at this point I'm not sure if I should be adding additional ammonia or still trying to get the levels of the nitrates to actually be readable. Any helps or tips would be very much appreciated!! I really want to get this tank finished as my daughter is getting anxious to see the fish swimming around in there! ;)

I should have probably included that the water changes I did were both about 50% each. And my ph level looks to be around 7.6. If there is any other information that would be helpful to know, please let me know! Trying hard to learn as much as I can as I go! :)

Back
Top Bottom