use of carbon in a fishless cycle using flakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephpartin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all I have a question please. I am fairly new to the fish world so please bear with me. I read that when doing a fishless cycle to not use carbon as it will remove all the ammonia needed for a cycle. Is this true? I have a tetra whisper 20 on the way and it uses biobags with carbon in it. Should I use the biobag filled with carbon or switch it out with something else? I am using flakes to cycle the tank when it gets here. Thanks so much in advance for any help:thanks: I just thought of something...I could cut open the biobag and take the carbon out and replace with fluval biomax rings. Am I on the right track?

6 Gallon: 1 betta Charlie
5 Gallon: 1 betta Peppy and a mystery snail

Hi, as far as I'm aware carbon will not remove ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. After several weeks it will start to get your bacteria growing on it. This can be a problem when you replace the carbon if it is most of your filter and therefore a lot of bacteria is being thrown out. Otherwise I find carbon useful for polishing water.

Thanks!!! Need more advice please:))

Hi, as far as I'm aware carbon will not remove ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. After several weeks it will start to get your bacteria growing on it. This can be a problem when you replace the carbon if it is most of your filter and therefore a lot of bacteria is being thrown out. Otherwise I find carbon useful for polishing water.

Hello and sry about the late response. I went ahead and removed the carbon from the resealable filter floss and added Fluval small bio rings to the bag. I really don't like this Whisper 20 HOB filter. The output GPH is a little to low for my needs and it only gives you two media options. It has a black sponge inserted into a black plastic frame and the bio bag filled with carbon which I replaced with bio max rings. I was thinking about an aqua clear 50 power filter. I'm also considering a aqua top PF-40 that comes with a UV sterilization system and protein skimmer. The reasoning behind the aqua top is because my tank is situated by a window and gets too much light which causes algae growth. I read that this type of filter can help reduce the algae. Any thoughts on this product? Thanks so very much!!!:thanks: Here is a pic on how much light is coming through.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom