Used tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishlover

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got a used biocube. everything's pretty dirty including gravel. How should I clean it and what products if any can I use?

How many times would you suggest rinsing and it's cold where I live now so what's the easiest way to go about this without freezing to death?

Newfishlover said:
How many times would you suggest rinsing and it's cold where I live now so what's the easiest way to go about this without freezing to death?

Im sorry I don't know how big a biocube is but if it will fit in the shower just give it a good rinse for a few minutes. Prime will neutralize any bleach residue if left after rinsing.

Ok. That sounds like it should work and I'm glad to hear that prime will neutralize bleach because I was afraid to use it. Thanks

Depending on what has it so dirty bleach might not take it off you might need to use vinegar. The vinegar usually my first choice to clean anything to do with aquariums.

joy13 said:
Depending on what has it so dirty bleach might not take it off you might need to use vinegar. The vinegar usually my first choice to clean anything to do with aquariums.

+1

If avoid using bleach at all costs really, if you don't use it you don't have to worry :)

I used vinegar to recently clean a used tank. Well actually I used white wine vinegar because that's all we had in the cupboard....the wife wasn't best pleased....but it worked a treat :)

Ok. I will have to buy either one so I might try vinegar first. It's just dirty from use and having too many fish.

Newfishlover said:
Ok. I will have to buy either one so I might try vinegar first. It's just dirty from use and having too many fish.

You can give it a good scrub with just clean water and see how it comes up first. Using bleach isn't that bad. As long as you rinse well and use dechlorinated water (with a double or triple dose) for the last rinse it's perfectly safe to use. I would recommend vinegar for water stains. Works wonders.

Do not use bleach. Use a vinegar water solution to clean and I'd highly suggest getting new substrate and not reusing the used stuff.

Ok what kind of vinegar should I use? And I was thinking about sand and making it a brackish tank.

Back
Top Bottom