wanting to start a new 10g.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgr7781

Aquarium Advice Activist
what should i get and do before starting. i dont want to hurt/kill the fishies. looking on doing brackish tank, looking at 2-3 crabs few shrimps and maybe 2-3 fish. thanks for any advice

what should i get and do before starting. i dont want to hurt/kill the fishies. looking on doing brackish tank, looking at 2-3 crabs few shrimps and maybe 2-3 fish. thanks for any advice

Most crabs need an area to surface, so that potentially limits the fish you could have, since your area would be cut down..especially for a 10 gallon. You want to make sure your tank is cycled like stated before too.

Yeah, you'll definitely have to do a lot of research on crabs.
You could change them out for crayfish? They are somewhat agressive, but don't need the surface area that crabs do.
You would have to research what crays are least aggressive but you could potentially add a couple of fish in with them.

Yeah, you'll definitely have to do a lot of research on crabs.
You could change them out for crayfish? They are somewhat agressive, but don't need the surface area that crabs do.
You would have to research what crays are least aggressive but you could potentially add a couple of fish in with them.

Also pretty limited on brackfish shrimp/crays too. IMO prolly better off doing with freshwater. Or you could maybe do a dwarf puffer?

Welcome to the aquarium insanity!!

Take it from a 10g enthusiast and a successful picotope (simulated biotope 10g and under) overstocker- it's crucial to keep your water balanced daily and keep up with water changes. Extra filtration and a few real plants (especially java moss and fern and specific cryptocoryne species) and some cavernous hiding structures along with an inch or 2 of soft substrate.

All things considered your invert tank idea is wonderful- I would consider freshwater- lots better options for livestock and much easier to maintain!!

yeah, ive been talking to someone from the fourms for a while. going with rusboias and cherry red shrimp and live plants

That's cool. Make sure the bulbs are the right spectrum. 5-8000 kelvin is what you're looking for.

:) cool!! Some good ideas with your set up (microboras- my faves are axelrod rasbora and purple harlequin and cherry shrimp- they now come in many different color variations too) for plants are java ferns (wendelov is a gorgeous form with leafy tips), anubis plants (petite nana, nana and sp cofee something or other) and hygrophila difformis (water wisteria)... And mosses are a necessity for shrimp...

To fishless cycle you can always just feed a fishless tank everyday along with changing 2.5g every 3 days or so until your parameters are stable.... This could take a long time though- you could always use a couple feeder minnows or guppies and cycle that way

Back
Top Bottom