Water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cypilk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm using a stress zyme cycle booster, which contains the good bacteria involved in my cycle of ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. My question is that if I do a water change, wouldn't I be losing some of the good bacteria I just put into the tank?

Don't worry about it - the off the shelf products tend not to work from what I've read. The only one's I've heard anything good about are Bio-Spira (which is refridgerated and must stay cool until it's used) and Seachem's Stability.
Bio-Spira contains actual live cultures. I assume Stability does also, but I'd be skeptical of any of the products that don't need refrideration.

PLUS - the water itself contains very very little of the good bacteria. They are mostly in your filter, in your substrate and on your decor, and tank walls.

SO - do all the water changes you need to keep those parameters within 0.5ppm (both ammonia and nitrites - personally I wouldn't even let the ammonia get that high, esp if your tank is a high temp or high pH where ammonia becomes even more toxic).

(now aren't you REALLY glad you bought that Python ???)

Thanks, I got some Stress Zyme, because I couldn't find any Bio-Spira =(. I only put 1 dosage in there and hope it works, all of my ammonia/ammonium, nitrite and nitrate levels are under control and I do about a 40% water change every day almost. Good thing I really did buy the python!, It works great =D Thanks Joannde!

Now, i'm debating on lighting and carbon dioxide equipment in preperation for my live plants!

Wow - going straight for the deep end huh ? Neat.

Have you read the stickies in the planted tank forum ? They give you alot of information about lighting requirements and CO2 (ie: when its required). I'm doing low light plants because I don't want to get into fert dosing and CO2.

Glad to see you're having fun :)

Actually, Stress Zyme does help. It's not useless like Cycle. I used it on my 29G and cycled it in just under 2 weeks. So, it may help, and may not. But no, you aren't losing bacteria when doing a water change. The bacteria attaches itself to just about everything in the tank from the gravel, ornaments, etc. And as for the filter, they attach themselves to all parts of the filter and media in the filter. There is little bacteria in the water.

Back
Top Bottom