Water Chemistry Help Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SassyMiss

Aquarium Advice Activist
I didn't know where to post this, so if it is in the wrong thread, I apologize. I'm having trouble figuring out what's going on.

I have a planted 20 gallon, with 1 rubber nose pleco, 3 lyre-tailed guppies, 6 green cory cats, 6 glowlight tetras, and 2 male red wag platys. My parameters:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 6.0 (on 6/1 ph was 7.4)
High ph 8.8! (On 6/1 it was 7.4)
Kh 11 (x10) = 110
Gh 6 (x20) = 120

I tested the tap,
ph 7.6
High ph 8.8
Kh 4 (x10) = 40
Gh 5 (x20) = 100

Last week the lfs told me my phosphates were really high, so I got some Phosguard media for my whisper 20 filter, and also some Purigen which I put in my 50 filter.

Can anyone please explain these numbers and should I start panicking?

Thanks!!:thanks:

Looks like you just started and your tank has not gone through its initial cycle. Sound right?

Also, you only need to do the High PH test if the normal PH maxes out.

No, my tank has been cycled for about four weeks now. The ph and high ph just went high since I tested the water four days ago.

I think you're experiencing some operator error. In a cycled tank, your nitrate will not be 0, especially with your stock. You need to shake the nitrate test kits really well (REALLY WELL) before you use them to get them to register properly.

When was the tank set up?

Explain how you got a pH of 6 on the low pH test, but 8.8 on the high pH test. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Also, what do you have for decoration in the tank? What substrate? Something's jacking up your KH.

I did shake the bottle really well. I even have a timer so I shake it for the requisite time. And I shook the vial according to directions for the specified time. I followed the instructions to the letter and did it twice.

The tank was set up on May 3 or thereabouts. I cycled it for three weeks, seeding it with squeezing from our betta tank, and also bacteria supplement. I tested every other day (did fishless cycling), and when I was sure it was done, I took water samples to 2 lfs to have it double checked.

I have Seachem Flourite substrate with black aquarium sand over it. I have plants: bacopus carolinia, java fern, water sprite, narrow leaf chain sword, two amazon swords, one big, one rather small. I have a large piece of driftwood, two small decorations.

I can't explain the pH and high pH. hopefully someone has an idea.

All I know is that the tap water's high pH was the same as the tank. But not the pH.

I took my water into the LFS about 36 hours after setting up my first aquarium and they both gave me a thumbs up and told me to buy some fish. Why? Because the folks that performed the test didn't really know what they were doing (neither did I at the time). So take what those folks say with a grain of salt.

I used that "bottled bacteria" during my first tanks Fish In cycle. It took about 4 weeks to complete. I did NOT use it for my second tanks Fish In cycle. It also took about 4 weeks. Take what you want from that.

What did you use for an ammonia source during your Fishless Cycle?

If your PH result was 6, why would you even perform the High PH test?

All I know is that the tap water's high pH was the same as the tank. But not the pH.

I don't think you're understanding. Your water doesn't have "pH" and "High pH", it only has pH. If, when testing the pH, the result is the maximum reading on the chart (7.6), THEN you perform the High pH test. It uses different chemicals to provide more accurate readings for pH in higher ranges.

Well, my lfs did not give me a thumbs up. I just asked them to verify the 0 nitrates and ammonia, which they both did. As far as testing both the pH and high pH you are correct. I'm not sure what to test. Hence my question to this forum.

I cycled the tank with a raw shrimp first, then fed the bacteria a pinch of flakes to keep them going. And yes, I did use supplement but I did not rely on that alone.

My point about the tap water is, the high pH was the same as the tank water, so maybe it's the tap water that screwed up the pH. However, when I did the test for pH, that was not the same as the tank water so the low pH did not come from the tap.

I performed the high pH because I do all the tests that come from the master kit. My tank cycled in 3 weeks.

High ph is for ph that is between 7.4 and 8.8, and ph is for 6 to 7.6. They are both testing ph, but the test kit has it on two different scales/tests so it it easier to read. If you have a ph of 8 (just making up numbers) on the high ph, then you will probably have something wacky on the other. You just need to figure out which is right.

And the light turns on! thanks for that great explanation.

so how do I find out which one is correct? Since I tested my tap, and the high pH was exactly the same, I'm thinking that for some reason my tap water (city water) is higher in pH this last week or so. Who knows what the city adds? I did do a water change and that's when the pH was 8.8 so I will do another water change this weekend and see what the tests show.

FWIW, the fish seem fine. No one is showing any signs of stress.

The nitrates being at zero is still a bit concerning. If you have lots of plants they could be absorbing the nitrate. That would explain why its bottomed out like that.

Ah-ha! I did add a 6 inch bubble wall, as I thought the platys, guppies and cats might like to play in the bubbles. The extra agitation might have raised my pH, do you all think?

If so, should I disconnect the wall? I kind of liked the effect, plus the fish seem like they like it.

The nitrates being at zero is still a bit concerning. If you have lots of plants they could be absorbing the nitrate. That would explain why its bottomed out like that.
I have one big amazon sword, one small amazon sword, some bacopa carolinia, a large bunch of water sprite, a crypocoryne, two java ferns and a small narrow chain leaf sword.

I dont think an airstone would raise your pH.
Thanks. I was unsure because I read that increased water agitation decreases CO2, which makes the pH increase, but I'm not sure how much is too much agitation.

Back
Top Bottom