Water Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeyerushalmi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My ten gallon freshwater tank is in the third week of its cycle and these are my results. I have been using a beneficial bacteria enhancer every day for about two weeks and it's really sped up the process. I finally am getting results after testing. Looking for suggestions on how to lower nitrites and nitrates without throwing my cycle off. I currently have two Red Dalmatian Mollies, one Black Molly, two Iridescent Blue Mollies, two Sunburst Plates and one Lolli Cory Catfish. See the pictures below.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1470252425791.jpg
    1470252425791.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 1470252448885.jpg
    1470252448885.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 61
I think you need to do a PWC. Your bacteria are not there yet to handle the ammonia to nitrite conversion.

I have been doing 25% a week. Do you suggest I do more? I don't want to disturb the bacteria that is already growing by taking too much, too often.

Fishy Business ?

I have been doing 25% a week. Do you suggest I do more? I don't want to disturb the bacteria that is already growing by taking too much, too often.

Fishy Business ?

You won't. Also the bacteria in the bottle has probably done little to speed up the cycle. It would seem that you are on course for a regular cycle. Unfortunately, bottled bacteria is one of the many 'scam' products that are simply used to exploit new fish keepers in their quest to cycle the tank.

I don't think you 'need' to do a water change but it wouldn't hurt at this point. The nitrite phase lasts the longest and you should expect this to last up to another two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay. Yesterday I did a 25% water change after I tested the water. I will test again this evening.

Fishy Business ?

Educate me please. If my nitrites were that high I would totally freak out. At what point is it too high and. PWC is needed?

Educate me please. If my nitrites were that high I would totally freak out. At what point is it too high and. PWC is needed?

Sorry totally thought this was a fishless cycle.

Op yes you need to do a water change.

My ten gallon freshwater tank is in the third week of its cycle and these are my results. I have been using a beneficial bacteria enhancer every day for about two weeks and it's really sped up the process. I finally am getting results after testing. Looking for suggestions on how to lower nitrites and nitrates without throwing my cycle off. I currently have two Red Dalmatian Mollies, one Black Molly, two Iridescent Blue Mollies, two Sunburst Plates and one Lolli Cory Catfish. See the pictures below.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How are the fish acting out of curiosity. Any form of poisoning from those parameters would cause gasping at the surface of the water.

I also believe that this tank is too small to home those numbers and those type of fish ☹️

I did a 25% water change yesterday and levels are still high.

Fishy Business ?

Guy at my LFS, who I have been working with the last few weeks and has given me great advice, suggests I stick to a once a week 25-30% water change. Also had me buy a Nitra-Zorb bag for the tank. Opinions?

Fishy Business ?

30 day guarantee with the fish so yeah? I hope they don't though. That would suck.

Fishy Business ?

Back
Top Bottom