Well Water Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SandyCheeks

Aquarium Advice Freak
My sister is in the process of setting up a 10 gallon FW tank. Her entire house is on well water. I have no idea how to adjust well water for an aquarium so any suggestions will be really appreciated. :)

We tested her water using an API kit. Straight out of the tap: Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20 ppm, ph 7.6. Using test strips: chlorine 0, alk between 120 to 180.

Is her tap water considered to be already cycled since she has Nitrates? Is she ready for fish?

What other things should we consider with well water?

Would salt help the slightly high alkalinity?

Since there is no chlorine in the water, do we still need to use a product such as Prime?

(Honestly, I was just a little jealous cuz I have to work really hard to get my city water like her water.)

Thanks!

Water can not be 'cycled'. The well water simply has nitrates already present which is fairly normal for well water. It just means that your sister will need to stay on top of her water changes to keep nitrate levels under control because she is not starting from zero nitrates but 20ppm.

I would also run the high ph test. 7.6 on the regular ph test is the high limit on the test. The ph may be 7.6 but it also may be any number above 7.6- the high range test will determine this.

The alkalinity is of nothing to be concerned with unless she plans on keeping a difficult or sensitive species of fish. Adding salt will do nothing more than make the water salty and is not necessary in a fw tank.

A water conditioner is not absolutely necessary with well water. However, it would be a good idea because it will detox heavy metals and aid in slime coat. If she plans on a fish-in cycle, Prime will help keep toxins from affecting the fish.

As the tank is uncycled, she will to decide on a fish-in or fishless cycle. Ill post a link to starting a fw tank for more info- please ask if you have any questions!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

What is it that we cycle, if water cannot be cycled? Just trying to understand.

In an aquarium, bacteria convert ammonia to nitrite, and nitrite to nitrate. Nitrate is the end result of the Nitrogen Cycle. The well water has nitrates because it contains beneficial bacteria. Why else would there be nitrates?

So if we add this water containing beneficial bacteria to the fish tank, the bacteria will quickly the populate the filter and it will be cycled. Or am I way off?

I'm sorry, but you are unfortunately off. Nitrate as you yourself have pointed out is the end product of bacterial activity, either in the water or in soil. In the case of well water, this nitrate is picked up as a chemical substance from the surrounding soil, and is not an indicator of the presence of beneficial bacteria.

When we cycle a tank, the goal is to establish a population of not one, but at least two different types of bacteria within our tank. The indicator of a viable population of a bacteria is the end product of their biological processes in the water (i.e. nitrate). Even within an aquarium the majority of beneficial bacteria are found not in the water, but on the surfaces within the tank and filtering system of the aquarium.

This link may be helpful;
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-nitrogen-and-the-cycling-process-227745.html

Last edited:
Reactions: jlk
I'm sorry, but you are unfortunately off. Nitrate as you yourself have pointed out is the end product of bacterial activity, either in the water or in soil. In the case of well water, this nitrate is picked up as a chemical substance from the surrounding soil, and is not an indicator of the presence of beneficial bacteria.

When we cycle a tank, the goal is to establish a population of not one, but at least two different types of bacteria within our tank. The indicator of a viable population of a bacteria is the end product of their biological processes in the water (i.e. nitrate). Even within an aquarium the majority of beneficial bacteria are found not in the water, but on the surfaces within the tank and filtering system of the aquarium.

This link may be helpful;
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/lets-talk-about-mythconceptions-regarding-nitrogen-and-the-cycling-process-227745.html

Thank you so much, Wy, for explaining this and for your patience. That link was very helpful.

I am still learning and making mistakes. I used an incorrect phrase, "cycling the water." When a person is first learning something it is sometimes hard to ask questions because we are afraid of looking stupid.

A misconception I had was that the water contains beneficial bacteria. I understand that the filter, media, substrate, etc hold the BB. But I remember reading somewhere online not to change over 25% of your tank water or you will loose your beneficial bacteria, and seeing videos on utube where someone is showing how to "instant cycle" a tank by pouring a cup of water from an established tank into a new tank. But I see now that that is a misconception.

There is so much info online, it is confusing and often conflicting. My plan is to follow the advise and knowledge on these aquatic forums. There is enough info here to keep me busy! :)

I gave my sister 2 juvenile male guppies to start a fish-in cycle, and we will follow the correct procedure for cycling. So far they are healthy. If the well water has arsenic or something, I am not sure how that will affect them, but we will have to see.

Back
Top Bottom