what do you think of these set-ups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
These are how I'm planning on setting up my three display tanks. I may use 1 or 2 otos per tank but I'm not sure. Let me know what you think.

I've got only a handful of these fish now.

29 gallon black top
1- 4” angelfish (black)
3- 3” angelicus loaches
1- 1.5” SAE
5- 3” congo tetras
29.5” of 10 fish
With 430 gph filtration

29 gallon oak top
1- 4” angelfish (gold)
3- 2” yo yo loaches
2- 2” zebra loaches
8- 2” Praecox rainbows
1- 1.5” SAE
31.5” of 15 fish
With 480 gph filtration

10 gallon Perfecto
1- 2” flame dwarf gourami
4- 1.5” zebra danios
4- 1” neon tetras
2- 2” gold barbs (may go with 3, 1" panda cories instead of barbs)
16.” of 11 fish
With 100 gph filtration

I plan on using pool filter sand in each tank with some smooth, dark pebbles scattered in. I've got mostly plastic plants now, but I'd like to move towards planted tanks.

The thing is....when stocking a tank, you need to go with the maximum size these fish will be when full grown.....here is what you are looking at:

29 gallon black top
1- 4” angelfish (black) - 6" each
3- 3” angelicus loaches - 4" each
1- 1.5” SAE - 6" each
5- 3” congo tetras - 3" each
29.5” of 10 fish - 39" of fish
With 430 gph filtration

29 gallon oak top
1- 4” angelfish (gold) - 6" each
3- 2” yo yo loaches - 3" each
2- 2” zebra loaches - 4" each
8- 2” Praecox rainbows - 3.5" each
1- 1.5” SAE - 6" each
31.5” of 15 fish - 57" of fish
With 480 gph filtration

10 gallon Perfecto
1- 2” flame dwarf gourami - 2" each
4- 1.5” zebra danios - 3" each
4- 1” neon tetras - 2" each
2- 2” gold barbs (may go with 3, 1" panda cories instead of barbs) - 4" each for the barbs 2.5" each for the panda corys
16.” of 11 fish - 34" of fish w/ the barbs or 33.5 " with the corys
With 100 gph filtration

All but a couple of these sizes came from liveaquaria.com, the others came from a quick google search.

All 3 of these and especially the 10 gal appear to be overstoked....unless you plan on moving all 3 set-ups into bigger tanks in the future....

Just my opinion fwiw. I go by the rule for freshwater of 1" ov fish at full grown size per gallon of water, and am adamantly against overstocking a tank if you don't plan on moving them to a larger tank. Some will argue that 1 1/2" is okay. But the 10 gal is running 3.4" of fish per gal. They will be some VERY unhappy fish imo.

Hope this helps and good luck with the set ups.

Okay. I'm going to modify them somewhat. However, I don't necessarily agree with some of the sizes that are listed so I used some you gave me and some I think are more accurate. If the sizes aren't accurate (according to you and any other readers) I'd like to know. I seem to see a lot of differences in sizes listed for fish in the books I own and on the internet. I know I'm over the 1"/gallon on all these tanks but, with the above adequate filtration I have and the 30% PWC I do every week, I believe all will be okay.

Here they are again. Check my math.

29 gallon black top
1- 6” angelfish (black)
3- 4” angelicus loaches
1- 6” SAE
3- 3.5” congo tetras
34.5” of 8 fish
With 430 gph filtration

29 gallon oak top
1- 6” angelfish (gold)
3- 3.0" Sterbai corys
6- 2” Praecox rainbows
1- 6” SAE
33” of 11 fish
With 480 gph filtration

10 gallon Perfecto
1- 2” flame dwarf gourami
2- 1.5” zebra danios
3- 1” neon tetras
3- 2" panda corys
14” of 9 fish
With 100 gph filtration

Yeah....sizes vary and you do have VERY good filtration. Again, lots of people believe that 1.5 inches of fish /gal is okay....I think that with the filtration you have and doing pwc you will be just fine. You also have a good mix of bottom-middle-top zone fish....they should thrive in the tank as long as you can keep the parameters even.

Good luck....some pics would be nice when you get the tanks finished.

I personally would say that you are ok. I've seen thriving setups with similar/more fish and far less filtration. Another thing to note when looking at stocking is the total surface area. Since you have standard sized tanks, I'm going to assume that they are standard rectangles and say you should be alright, if not pushing it just a tiny bit. If they are odd shaped tanks, then you may need to re-think.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom