what to do with a stalled cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Naws

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've come to accept that my fishless cycle has stopped and I need some serious help. I have been cycling since january already and I cannot get my nitrites to decrease. I have been doing everything just like the guide said.Right now my ammonia is at 0.5 and nitrites between 2-5. The readings have been fluctuating around those numbers for a very long time now.

So is there any way for me to finish the cycle? I am thinking about just selling the tank becuase there is no point of staring at an empty tank for months. And what if I add fish right now, will they die?

yes I added dechlorinator a while ago after I filled up the tank

You can add a bacterial seed source of some kind if you haven't already.
Tetra Safestart is the replacement for freshwater Bio-Spira. I have heard a couple of people that have had good luck with it.
Another option is a used filter pad from an established tank, squeezings from a filter sponge or even a hand full of gravel will help some.

Have you done any PWC's at all??
What do ALL of your parameter readings say ???
( throw some numbers out there....trust me...you'll get more 'EDUCATED-HITS"..from A/A folks and KNOW EXACTLY what to do in nano-seconds)

I just finished a fishless cycle on my 55 gal. I noticed that when the pH dropped to anything below 6.5, the cycle slowed considerably. You might want to check you pH and if it's low add some buffer or baking soda. Good luck!

Post your water test results and approximate time line if you can. Sounds like you may be well on your way to cycled.

Have you done any PWC's at all??
What do ALL of your parameter readings say ???
( throw some numbers out there....trust me...you'll get more 'EDUCATED-HITS"..from A/A folks and KNOW EXACTLY what to do in nano-seconds)

No PWC's, I just topped up the water after it evaporated alot

Just did my tests again:

Ammonia - 0.5
Nitrite - 0 !
Nitrate - 5

Does this make any sense? Does it mean the cycle is done?

Back
Top Bottom