Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

white cloudy water

I have a 35 gallon tank I am just starting up with one red eared slider. New tank, new filter, substrate(dry) from an old tank, rocks from previous tank. Everything was washed before putting it into the tank. I have white cloudy water, bacteria bloom from what I've read. I plan to do 50% pwc for the next few days. My question is, will the cloudyness clear up as the benificial bacteria establish themselves in the new external filter? What else should I be looking at doing? No testing kit yet but it's on the way.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Substrate is regular aquarium gravel and rocks are 3 larger rocks probably 4-5 inches across. Just thought I'd make sure that part was clear.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Change all the water if you want. The bacteria that are causing the bloom are not the same ones that aid in the nitrogen cycle. One thing i found when we had red eared sliders was to never feed them in their tank. We removed them to a wash basin, fed them, waited until they evacuated and then returned them to the tank. The water stayed much cleaner.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Then how do I fix what causes the bloom in the first place?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvulcan
Then how do I fix what causes the bloom in the first place?
You can't "fix" it, it is always something that happens when you begin the cycle. Best thing to do right now is to leave it as is.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, white cloud

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com