Why cant you just put fish in a tank and leave them ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you mean? Adding new fish from a store to your tank? Adding new fish to an uncycled tank? Not doing water changes?

Please try to rephrase the first question with as much detail as possible.
Also it depends on what kind of fish for the second question

Well to answer the question in the title....if you leave them there will be no food and they will die...and eventually all the water will evaporate and they will die....short answer is they will die.

From your other posts, the amount of fish you have mean your overstocked meaning that they will stress out = die and/or the waste they provide will be too much for the tank/filter leading to bad water = die

You can't just put fish into a new tank unless the water is treated properly because chemicals (ammonium/nitrates/nitrites) get too high and kill the fish.
I'm speaking from a sad experience where I lost a goodfew fish because although I'd run the tank for two weeks with out fish I didn't know about testing the water.
Hope this helps

If your mother is questioning water changes, here's the answer:

The artificial ecosystem you've created (your tank) doesn't have the resources necessary to be self-sustaining. Natural habitats have tons of plants and lots of things living in the water to deal with fish waste and provide food. When it warms up, take a sample of water from a healthy pond and look at it with a magnifying glass. You'll see a lot of little organisms. Your tank doesn't have this support system.

If its 12 fish like neon tetras or guppies in an established tank i disagree that theyd die. You cant just tell people what youve heard. Ive seen 25 guppies live together in a 10 gallon for years. But it is still overstocked, and not right IMO. But saying they are automatically comdemned to death would be incorrect

Water changes are also necessary to get nitrates out of the water. An ideal nitrate concentration is 20 ppm with as much as 40-50ppm being acceptable. In natural pond ecosystems the nitrates are naturally kept around 5ppm

I would say that your fish, the guppies, betta, and corys should have around 15 gallons min. You can always ask for a new tank for Christmas, although sooner would be better. Frequent water changes to keep ammonia levels down would be helpful.

richpowell1989 said:
The corys like to be kept in a group of at least 5 also they need at least a 55 gallon

Corys need a 55 gallon? Idk where did you read a 3 inch max fish "needs" a 55 gallon

Last edited by a moderator:
tarpon said:
Corys need a 55 gallon? Idk where did you read a 3 inch max fish "needs" a 55 gallon

I have heard lots of people on here say they keep them in as small as 20 long tanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone told me that on here even dustin from dustinfishtanks say it but I wouldn't put them in a small tank

Perhaps he was talking about plecos, which get much larger? Would be interesting to see which species he was referring to.

Someone who posted on his site indicates they keep 20 corys in a 55, is that the reference?

Back
Top Bottom