Bad eyes on a flame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdrake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a flame I have only had for about a week. He seems fine swimming well and eating well, but I just noticed 1 of his eyes is cloudy. Water parameters are fine.

I have a small clip I can post or email if someone can tell me how.

TIA

Most commonly it will be from an injury and/or possibley elevated DOC in the water. Easiest and best method is a few large water changes with well aged/aerated SW. Usually once the organics in the water are reduced the problem will go away on it's own. The fish's natural immune system will be able to fight it from there without the need for meds. Be sure as well to fortify what you feed the fish with a good liquid marine vitamin containing [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]'s.

If in the main tank, watch for aggression from tankmates.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the response
I have never heard of [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym], any brands you would recomend?
Tank mates are pretty docile, LN butterfly and 2 perc clowns

When you say large water changes you mean 30%, 40%, 50%??

kdrake said:
Thanks for the response
I have never heard of [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym], any brands you would recomend?
Selcon or Zoecon.

When you say large water changes you mean 30%, 40%, 50%??
A few 25ish% every second day should do. Be sure the new SW has mixed with a powerhead for a good 24 hrs before use. Check temp and salinity to be sure they match the main tank.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks again

I will try to post pics of the flame

Attachments

• flame_1.jpg
    flame_1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 109
  • flame2.jpg
    flame2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 62
  • flame3.jpg
    flame3.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 53
Looks like a simple infection for now anyways. The water changes and vitamin fortified feeding should do the trick.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks again

BTW I checked out underthec.com

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!
Those are some really nice tanks, now I see the beauty of a nice reef tank

Back
Top Bottom