Bleaching hermit crab shells, coralline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claw Atticas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought 30 Blue Leg Hermits (Some turned out to be Red Legs, but I'm not complaining), and I noticed about a day after I put them in my tank, some of their shells started bleaching. There's also a small amount of white spots on the coralline algae in my tank (Though there is a big section of bleaching around the downward-current flowing from the fuge to the tank). I have a Nova Extreme T-5 with moon lights, 2 420nm Blue Actinics, and 2 12000K White Actinics, and I haven't changed the bulbs since I bought it around April of last year (Even though they seem to work alright) Current water parameters are Calcium 400 pH 8.3 Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 5 Phosphates .25 Have a large Xenia coral 'forest', and a little bit of Galaxea coral (Also a clownfish and coral beauty angelfish, but that's not important here)

Three things you want to check when it comes to Coralline is Calcium, magnesium and alkalinity.

Sounds like the algae on the shells are getting used to the new lighting/parameters. You may be looking at a change in bulbs as well.

Well, it wasn't algae on the hermit crab shells, they were more of a light brownish color, and just turned pure white a day after I put them in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom