Blue Leg Hermits Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biotoxin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I picked up some blue leg hermits on friday (7) and today im down to 5. I find them out of their shells and dead. Any ideas on whats causing this? I checked all my levels the only thing that is slightly down is Alk but not enough to cause any concern.

Be sure they are not just simpley molts. After being placed in a new environment, it is quite common for most crustaceans to molt. Most small hermits are also quite adept at hiding and cannot often be found when they don't want to be.

Do you have any other predator fish/inverts and where they all moving about after introduction to the tank?

If you are absolutely sure they are dead, then I might suspect how they where acclimated or possibley something amiss with the water specs. What is your source water ?

Cheers
Steve

i just have snails right now and some corals , no predators. I find them out of their shells on the sandbed so i doubt its a molt. My water source is just tap water for now. But in this area its kept very clean. The lfs i go to uses straight tap water and they have really clean tanks.

biotoxin said:
I find them out of their shells on the sandbed so i doubt its a molt.
That is exactly how a molt will appear. The only difference will be the anterior (butt) end of the crab will be missing if a molt and intact if a dead crab.

I could not find a pic of an actual molt but on the pic below you will notice what looks like a "tail" of sorts or abdomen. If that is missing, then it is most likely a molt as the crab shell will look identical in every other way including color...

j21800.jpg

If you are sure they are dead, then I can only conclude they where in poor health when you got them and/or acclimated too quickly.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom