C' Irittans Microscope Identification (Ich)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rrdodge1283

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I 'm sure everybody has delt with this at some point or another, but forgot the web page reference that I was looking @ and while in the termont stage (Free Swimming) what they resembled under a microscope . Remember that it talked about this and said to swirl a bucket of water from a change and scoop from center put on slide and view! The last outbreak 8mos ago effected my beloved blue morpho tang wich I did successfully rescue with copper treatment and had to re-instate him back to the sea due to ammonia levels skyrocketing in the QT tank after ONLY 3 day dip the Ich disappeared and once and for all was all peaceful. Well it happened again after the aquisistion of the copper band butterfly(CBB) to resolve the apitaisa epidemic. The tang which is approaching 8y and 7" had to be QT again. I left the other fish in the tank, with reservations and past experience, and did not see any dots on any of the fish esp the (CBB) when purchased, and after (CBB) was placed in the tank for 2days the tang came down with the sickness. So out with the tang, and in QT for 8 days total now; dots all gone on the tang and all other fish in the display have not had any outbreaks I just may re-instate the tang and hope for the best once again due to ammonia levels getting scarry in the QT tank even after I do 30% water changes every day in the QT tank! (20gallon) maybe this 20g tank is to small for the tang! Also maybe the parasite Is NOT ich at ALL! That is why I need to use microscope idenification while in that free swimming stage.

There is a pic of a theront >>here<<. It is about 2/3 down the page.

Moved to the SW sick fish/coral forum.

Cheers
Steve

I have to comment that the link that Steve posted is incorrect about how to use hyposalinity. It said to use it as a dip when the treatment should last a minimum of 3 weeks.
The follwing is a snipet from a 5 part series that I wrote on Cryptocaryon irritans (ich) which is currently running in www.advancedaquarist.com:

"Cryptocaryon irritans can only be definitively diagnosed by microscopic observation of continuously revolving, pear shaped ciliates (trophonts) in fresh gill or fin clippings, or skin scrapings (Colorni & Burgess, 1997)."

Terry B

Terry B said:
I have to comment that the link that Steve posted is incorrect about how to use hyposalinity. It said to use it as a dip when the treatment should last a minimum of 3 weeks.
Steve wasn't attempting to point out a means of treatment but rather and image of a theront :wink: Thanks for pointing out a possible problem though.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks a mill that is a fantastic link defiantly saved to favorites! Ive looked under 400x mag with a hobby scope and you would not belive the stuff thats in there. will look again to see if anything correlates, I did find a spot on the (CBB) He's out and in QT so now 75% water change on QT and 45% on 75g everything stable for now.. Next time QT all stuff aquired before placement in display...... Never again!

Steve,
I know that you didn't write the mistake in the link that you posted. I just didn't want anyone to misunderstand what hyposalinity therapy is. 8)

Back
Top Bottom