Clownfish jumping out of tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,
Well this morning we found one of our ocellaris clowns dead in front of the tank. We've had no issues with the tank and our fish for about a year, but last night did relocate the tank from one corner of the room to another to make way for our new 90g, which required heavy removal of water into a temporary rubbermaid holding bin. We have an Eclipse hood on our tank, so there are only two holes that he could have jumped out of (about 2-3"x2-3").

The clown is survived by his pair (he's lonely now), and a blue tang. They both seem very healthy, as do the other inverts in the tank.

Is this normal? Do clowns jump out of the water often? I just can't believe he got through one of those holes.

If I get a new clown (same species) will they swim together as my first pair did? THey seemed to follow each other everywhere. Or, will this clown pair up with a clown of another type (maroon for example)?

Thanks!

I was just about to post a similar experience, but i will just respond to yours instead.

I have/had a maroon clown for a few months. Just a couple days ago he jumped out the back of the tank. I do not have anything covering my tank, mostly because that's the best for gas exchange, and i've never had a problem like this before. Now i am seriously considering getting some eggcrate to protect against jumpers. I had not heard of clowns being the suicidal type . . . but i guess i was wrong!!!

Sorry to hear about your loss, I definitely feel your pain.

tripper

tripper said:
I was just about to post a similar experience, but i will just respond to yours instead.

I have/had a maroon clown for a few months. Just a couple days ago he jumped out the back of the tank. I do not have anything covering my tank, mostly because that's the best for gas exchange, and i've never had a problem like this before. Now i am seriously considering getting some eggcrate to protect against jumpers. I had not heard of clowns being the suicidal type . . . but i guess i was wrong!!!

Sorry to hear about your loss, I definitely feel your pain.

tripper

Very interesting, yeah the way the clowns fish, kind of in a lazy sort of way, and not too fast, I wouldn't think they could even jump out...our tang, which zips around the tank at lightening speed, I could imagine perhaps. Anyway, sorry about your loss.

I probably won't get a new clownfish till we get our 90g all setup and ready to go.

I had a clarki jump ! He jumped out once while I was feeding - luckily I was right there to scoop him back in. The second time he was in a sick tank - he wasn't as lucky. I came home to a dried fish.

Eggcrate is the best. I highly recommend it.

Sorry for your loss.

Eggcrate? Is it the same stuff they call "honeycombs" that are used in some light fixtures and such?
Yup, can get it in the lighting section at HD.

I may have to go get some. I was going to add a firefish but decided against it because I did not want it jumping out. Now I may be able to get one after all.

It is wierd that your clown jumped out. I cannot see mine jumping out...let alone swimming fast enough to jump. He really seems to love the open top.

AR15 guy said:
I may have to go get some. I was going to add a firefish but decided against it because I did not want it jumping out. Now I may be able to get one after all.

It is wierd that your clown jumped out. I cannot see mine jumping out...let alone swimming fast enough to jump. He really seems to love the open top.

I was just at hd and asked two associates if they sold "eggcrate", neither had a cluewhat I was talking about... so I started looking for some other things on my list and found them in the suspended ceiling supplies aisle, sold in 4x2 sheets.

It is very weird that our clown jumped out, I was most shocked. And I'm wondering if it was coincidence that it was precisely after I moved the tank, although the rocks were placed back almost exactly where they were prior to the move..maybe he was freaked out! Who knows.

Clowns usually aren't the jumping type. Heck they aren't even skidish. I suspect a homicide. Someone or something much have wanted him dead. Maybe the wife is jealous?? lol j/k.

Back
Top Bottom