Clownfish Question - Fast swimming and twitching??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packohotdogs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone,

So, I have a pair of OCC Clowns in a 12 gallon Fluval Edge. One is red (name is red), and one is yellow (name is Crackfish). I know they're crazy and amusing fish, but I am trying to understand the boundaries of their behavior.

So, The reason for the name of the yellow one is well, because he's a little cracked out. He swims around the tank as fast as he can then runs into the other fish and starts twitching. Is this normal behavior? I got these two at different times, and I believe they are still pairing. Red is doing well, and is a beautiful fish. Full of energy also, but not as, well, cracked out. :fish2:

Of note, they are both doing well, eating like horses and swimming around a lot. I have a young tank (1 month), but my current params are:

SG 1.022
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
PH 8.2

They are a trip!! Does this sound like normal clown behavior? Thanks in advance!! :D

Lol clowns are wierd.... You might wake up and see crackfish sleeping on its side, or stuck to the filter, its all normal...

I think you should get a bigger tank for your clowns as soon as possible though

Thanks NUNU. In regards to the bigger tank - Is this due to the bioload or the well being of the fish? I don;t plan on adding anything else except maybe a cleaner shrimp. ( when I started SW a couple months ago I was thinking firefish also, but don't want to stretch it).

We are having a kid in the next couple days, but soon after there is a 28 gallon JBJ in my future.

Congrats on having a child! Lol and its for both reasons actually, clowns can really dirty up a tank and they need room to swim. A 29 would be perfecto

Thanks NuNu!! That sounds like great advice!!! I'll be sure to keep an eye on my levels in the mean time. I am currently measuring all values every other day.

The fish are def small... about 1.5 inches currently. I know the 5 gallon=1 inch rule, so I'll be careful. I should have the bigger tank before halloween.

Packohotdogs said:
Hi Everyone,

So, I have a pair of OCC Clowns in a 12 gallon Fluval Edge. One is red (name is red), and one is yellow (name is Crackfish). I know they're crazy and amusing fish, but I am trying to understand the boundaries of their behavior.

So, The reason for the name of the yellow one is well, because he's a little cracked out. He swims around the tank as fast as he can then runs into the other fish and starts twitching. Is this normal behavior? I got these two at different times, and I believe they are still pairing. Red is doing well, and is a beautiful fish. Full of energy also, but not as, well, cracked out. :fish2:

Of note, they are both doing well, eating like horses and swimming around a lot. I have a young tank (1 month), but my current params are:

SG 1.022
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
PH 8.2

They are a trip!! Does this sound like normal clown behavior? Thanks in advance!! :D

Its likely you are witnessing pairing behavior from crackfish with the twitching. This is usually a sign of submission with this behavior. Im guessing by this that red probably the larger of the two?

They're actually very close in size, and are both doing the twitching. Its just usually Red who is taking it easy hosting the heater or fake coral, and then Crackfish zooms over and starts twitching. Hopefully they'll eventually get along. :)

Packohotdogs said:
They're actually very close in size, and are both doing the twitching. Its just usually Red who is taking it easy hosting the heater or fake coral, and then Crackfish zooms over and starts twitching. Hopefully they'll eventually get along. :)

Yeah just sound like they are working out whos dominant then. Should be fine, nothing to worry about unless you start seeing cuts, ripped fins, etc.

Yeah just sound like they are working out whos dominant then. Should be fine, nothing to worry about unless you start seeing cuts, ripped fins, etc.

Thanks Schism... Much appreciated!! They seem so go through spurts. Now they are sitting on a fake coral together. In a couple minutes they'll probably be at it again... :popcorn:

Just don't want anyone to get hurt.

Sorry guys... one more quick question...

Can clowns of the same species be different colors??? I am starting to suspect that I may have two different breeds, but they won't hold still enough to count the spines.

Here's a pic...

Attachments

• IMG_2518.jpg
    IMG_2518.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 85
Packohotdogs said:
Sorry guys... one more quick question...

Can clowns of the same species be different colors??? I am starting to suspect that I may have two different breeds, but they won't hold still enough to count the spines.

Here's a pic...

Yes clowns of the same species can be different colors, take black and white occelaris clowns for example.

Sorry guys, one more question...

Anyone know how long the "pairing" process can last?

Back
Top Bottom