coral bleaching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

troutman11111

Aquarium Advice Freak
can anyone explain this?i did get a new light 3 months ago2x250mh10,000k and 2 55watt pc actinics. i had on 1 96 watt smartlight and 2 twin striplights 30x4=120watt my specs are ca 420,ph 8.3,kh 12,temp 78,nitrate .10 my mushrooms are loving this light and there are on top of rock. i thought mushrooms did not like high light. this bleaching is spreading. only my rock is bleaching. even the feather dusters like it.

Trout are you talking about the corraline algae?? If so I wouldnt worry about it. The increase in light is just allowing a different species of coraline to become dominate in the area. It should be restricted to just the top flats of the rock. As time goes by the deeper purple coraline will begin to acclimate and dominate once again

hope it helps

Mike

yes, the white coralline. most of the rock is 10yrs old. should i put the ca at480 or leave it at 420-440? and let time once again take over. walt 8)

Walt around 450 is a great level for calcium. It reall does not have alot to do with the cal, however. Species of the algae will dominate in different lighting. In lower lighting the deep purples will do well, in brighter a pinker version becomes dominant, in high lighting usually the green starts to dominate. Just give it some time, usually once the darker purple stuff gets acclimated to the bright lights it will come back.

Mike

wow, great info on the coraline..I never knew that is what affected the color.

Yep Hare their are many types and of Corallinaceae. They can range from a depth of only a few feet to over 200 Meters. Not all growth type are controlled by lighting but in our cases alot are. They are also using collaine algae now in the medical feild as a possible cure for cancer.

mike

just a update on the bleaching rock, i,m starting to see hints of green and the white is mellowing out. what about the mushrooms being so high up? 8)

Back
Top Bottom