My tank crashed last July (Out of town) due to power outage. I had an overflow that did not regain it's siphon, which did not circulate the water through the chiller, and the timer never cut off the halides. All of my 90 gal tank of corals were melted. My fish survived the event.
I imediately purchased a reef ready tank to eliminate the siphon problem again, which I had before. I have waited for several (6) months now to try and re-start my reef. I transfered my 250 lbs of lr and fish to the new tank. I used new sand.
I still cannot get corals to stay alive - except for some green star polyps and bubble anemones which have re-grown.
I am running a 90 gal w/25 long sump. Sump has a fuge, and a recirc chamber with a Octopus skimmer, phosban reactor, and a UV light.
I have been putting in purple up, 2 caps every other day, for a month now. I put it in about 8 hours prior to testing. I usually use reef crystals and do not use purple up. I lost most of the coraline in July and couldn't get it to grow back. I bought a LR with it covered and having success seeding the rerst of the rock with it and some PU.
I am running 2 x 150 mh (8 hours per day) and 4 x 50 T5s (12 hours per day)
Ok, The first thing you need to do is stop the Purple up. Your calcium is way to high. You need to realize that not just calcium is in the equation for coralline. Alk and magnesium are players also. Just rely on PWC`s to take care of your calcium needs.
You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.
The other issue with PurpleUp is that it has iodine in it, which if overdosed can kill off corals. Doesn't sound like you think that's the issue, but I'd be doing some water changes to get those levels back down to normal in your system. Also... what is the alkalinity? 1500 what? That's not really a normal number for any of the units normally used for alkalinity.
Frogspawn - slowly recinded into their exo over a 3-4 week period
Montipora cap - bleached out over a few weeks
Pink bird's nest - bleached out over a few weeks
Hammer - slowly recinded into their exo over a 3-4 week period
All corals were drip acclimated for 3-4 hours
My blue-legged crabs also killed all of my turbos and took over their shells
Hmm. If you were dosing the PurpleUp when all this happened, that'd by the prime suspect. But you say the corals died before the PurpleUp, so that must not be the issue. Regardless, calcium of 500 and alkalinity of 2 (meq/l ??) points to some imbalances in your water so I'd get those cleared up before adding anything else. Here's a good article:
The phosphates at 0.25 ppm is really really high. Especially if you're running a Phosban reactor. Have you traced where that's coming in at? Tap water? I wouldn't expect it to kill off a coral that quick, but it's definitely a problem.
With the Monti and Bird's Nest, it could've been that your lighting was higher than what they were used to? Just talking out loud... Coulda been bad luck with the frogspawn and hammer. Or it could've been the long acclimation time... 3-4 hours is really long, in my opinion. (I usually shoot for 30 minutes, 1 hour max) Did you keep the water temperature stable during that time period?
one final thought is this ... Do think hard on this one ...
Has any one sprayed anything and I mean any thing around the tank ? Is there a possiblity of contamination of any sort ?
Also I would think that a stray current would also effect the fish ... use of a volt meter will rule this out ... tho a grounding probe is also not a bad idea tho
Ph - 8.3
Kh - 180
Am - .03
Po - 0
Ca - 500
N02 - .01
N03 - 0
I just noticed my voltage meter doesn't read below 80 volts. I will get my hands on a more sensitive meter tomorrow.
I also read on the ground that the eyelet on the ground wire has to be above the water level of the tank. This will involve adding an outlet upo the wall for this height. Not a problem - I will just have to wait until this weekend to do this due to time. Also of note - the instructions say to mount they eyelet of the ground wire to the outlet plate screw. This I feel is a mistake because the plate cover is plastic. Any ground needs metal on metal seating to ground. I can mount to one of the outlet mounting screws for this.
btw - I have had the flame angel for two years now. He never nipped at my corals prior to my disaster last July. I know fish can change their behavior over time, but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with them.
As far as a spray/chemical - I do use a glass cleaner on the outside of the glass ( kids finger prints....lol) But I spray it on a towel - then clean the glass.
btw - I have had the flame angel for two years now. He never nipped at my corals prior to my disaster last July. I know fish can change their behavior over time, but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with them.....
I didn't notice the mention of the Flame Angel as one of your fish until Sadielynn mentioned it. I'd move that right up to the top of the "suspect" list. I've heard multiple stories of folks that have had the miniature angels for years (think Melosu might be one of them), and then suddenly, for whatever reason, they start nipping. Maybe the switch to the new tank for it changed it's ways. Time to set up video surveillance!
in that size tank with what I can assume is a few corals you may not notice right away but with due time and stress it can kill corals ..
The spray cleaner try vinegar on a wet towel and shine with news papers works like a charm and the vinegar is non toxic to kids , pets and fish
If you stick your hand in the tank and don't get a shock then you don't have voltage going through your tank so a grounding probe would be useless.
I disagree a grounding probe is never usless .. it is a safety mechanisium that will help should a piece of equipment ever fail or a cord get frayed and prevent something from happening ... I can safely say that a grounding probe could potenially save a life .......yours