Dead shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flynnternet

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know what you're thinking... I am 90% sure it's not a molt. I've seen a molt and this is different.

I did a 10% water change yesterday. Today, I finally added my Perc clown that was in QT for over 3 weeks. Now, a few hours later, my Nass snails are attached to the tail of my (former) cleaner shrimp, seemingly removing its insides. The shrimp is motionless.

What could have caused my shrimp to die? I know the snails are just scavengers are are just cleaning up.

Also, I have seen a few empty snail shells lying around. Is it possible I have some kind of crab I have never seen terrorizing my inverts? Ugh.

I am really bummed. My first loss.

Ok, so I fashioned a crude crab trap. I propped up a plastic cup with some raw chicken in the bottom (I had no seafood - I hope this is ok) against a rock.

I can't believe that there's been a nasty crab in my rock for like 4 months and I had no idea. So frustrating. And my poor shrimp! Now I have to replace him.

Is it a small rock? If so you can pull it and give it a short hypo salinity 0.030 sg dip, this should drive him out.

No, unfortunately it's my biggest rock. Even has some coral polyps on it.

The trap didn't work on the first try. I found it knocked over when I got up. Guess I should weight it down.

What should I sue as bait?

You can use a piece of shrimp, I crimp mine in a bottle cap or seomthing heavy and drop it in the bottom of a mason jar and prop the jar up on the rock. The crabs will go in but they cant climb out.

Also make sure your salinity is OK for shrimps/inverts (1.024-1.025)

Thanks a lot

The salinity is 1.025. My peppermint was doing fine this morning, so I have to think the water quality is good.

Back
Top Bottom