Digitata tissue recession help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anovack

Aquarium Advice Freak
I all of a sudden started having tissue recession on my monti digi and not sure exactly why. Just tested parameters below.

29 biocube. Mixed reef. Frogspawn, digi, cats paw, birds of paradise, zoa garden, blasto, and a couple acan frags.

All Red Sea test kits

Ca: 420
Alk: 8.1
Mag: 1200
Nitrates: barely visible. Possibly 1?

I do about 25-30% water changes every 8-12 days. Also curious if you think I'm running too "clean". Some gha but has been going away over time.

One thing I should note is before this started happening I noticed some branches broke off and were laying on the base of the coral where it's white. Could the broken branches released something to sting its own genome? The recession has increased slightly over the last day or two. Curious on people's thoughts.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449259694.367582.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That isn't from an issue of an ultra low nutrient system, you'll see recession like that due to stress to the area like pieces falling down, be it impact or being blocked of light from the piece being there too long. A coral won't sting itself either.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451579908.296322.jpg
As you can see recession has increased over the past couple weeks. Parameters still stable. My theory is its the lights. Hooked my radion up to the WXM module and had to reconfigure a schedule and might have increased intensity or something.

It's starting to turn brown in the receding spots but not sure if that's diatoms or tissue trying to come back. Kind of a bummer because this piece was growing like a weed despite me breaking branches off by accident every time my hands in the tank

The brown over the white areas is most likely algae growing over the new 'rock' if this is something that happened quickly.
There have been no other changes? If it was from a lighting change, like an increase in intensity, one would think you would see burnt tips.
You are seeing some heavy recession though. I'd want to frag a piece in an attempt to save the colony. Have there been any swings in parameters?

I thought the same thing with bleached tips.

Holiday has been busy but below are parameters and dates

12/23/15
Ca: 425
Alk: 7.7
Nitrates: 0
Po4: 0.0 hanna checker

12/31/15
Ca: 410
Alk: 6.72
Nitrates: 0
PO4: 0.07 Hanna checker

I doesn't look like there are bite marks or anything. However I used a turkey Baster and shot somethings off that were the color of the white tissue. Didn't get a great look but could tell it wasn't an asteria starfish or whatever those things are called.

I think I'll frag and dip and knock off the old dead skeleton. Frag swap in February so probably try and keep things steady till then for a new piece.

30% water change today to get phosphates back down.

I know. When it read 0.0 I even tested twice on the Hanna to make sure and it came back the same.

What egg are you using the ulr phosphorus or phosphate

Sent from my ZTE Blade Q Lux using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Using the PHOSPHATE LOW RANGE COLORIMETER HI713 HANNA CHECKER HC - FRESH & MARINE WATER

What's the big difference? I read both descriptions and it seemed the one I got was the one I needed

You have to do some calculations and but it will give you a more accurate reading than ulr phosphate

Sent from my ZTE Blade Q Lux using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom