Dorsal Fin spot question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have always been paranoid about ich. I know that ich causes spots on fins and the body of a fish. My question is this: Can types of markings or spots apperar on fins and not mean anything?

My tang has had little blemishes on its pectoral fins. Not consistant round white spots, just barely visible when it uses them to swim. Can they get spots or blemishes on their fins from other sources besides ich?

It has had these markings since I got it. It has not spread, and the fish is just fine. Eats great, no scratching.

revhtree said:
Can they get spots or blemishes on their fins from other sources besides ich?
Most definately. Fish can get something akin to bruising which looks like a faded spot on the fins. Usually with good water quality and proper feedings they clear up in a few days. It could also be lympho, fungus or a completely different parasite.

Best suggestion is observe and watch for any changes good or bad. You won't be able to affectively treat anything unless you are sure of what it is first.

Cheers
Steve

Good advice Steve. In the past I have been so quick to jump into things, and probably have treated when I should not have. I will keep a close eye. :D

Oh man, I hope its nothing. You don't need that.
Keeping fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom