Emaciated Algae Blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlseith

Aquarium Advice Activist
My poor blenny is starving. I have had him for 2 years now. The past month he has lost so much weight I am afraid I might lose him any day. He is in a 30T reef with 3 Sebae clowns, a blue fiji damsel, Condi anemone and various soft corals. I recently cut feeding down to every other day due to an all out war with cyano and phosphates, but he doesn't seem all that interested in the food anyways. (Food = Formula One marine pellets) Should I be offering him something else, and if so what?? He was doing so well until recently and I would really hate for him to die because of something I did, or didn't do.

Thanks,
Karl

The lack of nutrient in the system will mean less production of film and other micro algaes which the lawnmower primarily feeds on. Best suggestion is get some Nori and wrap it on a small rock. Place it in the tank where it usually frequents and see if it goes for that. Most, IME will never accept free floating foods as a rule but their have been exceptions. I would not suggest solid vegetable matter though, the blenny does not actually bite or chew but rather scrapes at surfaces to get foods.

Cheers
Steve

Karlseith
I had the same problem and thought the first blenny I got was diseased...so I chaulked it up as such. However bought another one and he too became very skinny. I tried what steve suggested and he would not take to this. Mine wouldnt eat anything other than what grew on the rock as well as the walls.
I wish you the best but what Steve suggested works sometimes....guess blennies are a little different when it comes to us helping them choose what to eat....good luck.

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately I found him stuck to a PH last night. I wish I had known my actions would affect him that much. :cry: A hard lesson learned but at least I wont make the same mistake twice.

Thanks,
Karl

Back
Top Bottom