First encounter with bloat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drewbles99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Had my tank running beautifully... infact, I felt ready to add my first butterfly.. Oops. It took 2 days for the Longnose I bought from a reputable dealer to get severe ICH and Bloat. I have never seen bloat before and I don't know the first thing about it. It looks horrid... I feel for the poor guy and I am afraid that the rest of the tank will now get the ICH. I am praying that my UV sterilizer controls it enough to allow me some time to get proper meds in there. I can't use copper because I have some inverts...

Tank readings are healthy, maybe a tad high on salinity but that's it. No problems in my Angels or Tang, so I am pretty sure the Butterfly brought the Ich with him.

Anyone know what causes bloat or how to treat it?

Thanks in advance.

Drewbles

I am unfamiliar with the term bloat, but from the name I suspect it means a swelling of the abdomen, which is likely a swim bladder infectio (the fish will likely have difficulty swimming) or a blockage in the intestines. Give us a few more symptoms. and maybe we can lock it down.

You need to remove that fish from your main tank to a quarantine tank, it is likely you need to remove all your fish and treat for ick in a seperate q-tank, I recommend Hyposalinity for the ick ;)

Well, what I referred to as bloat may have been something different. The Longnose Butterfly had swelling along the top of his body. Like a puffy line of bloating that extended the length of his body. Also disfigurment around the bladder area. I should have taken a picture. He is gone now :cry:

23_11_41.gif

Back
Top Bottom