Fish losing color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boxfishlover

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone ever have a problem with there fishes color fading? I have a watchman goby in my invert tank (yellow) and his color has all but disapeared. I have had him for about a month my tank levels are good except my nitrate level is a little high for an invert tank right around 40. The only change I have made in the last week was I added an additional carbon pack in my HOF along with the bio chem pack that normally goes in. I was attempting to bring my nitrate level down a little and thought the extra carbon pouch might help. I did notice that these particular packs are premade and sealed in the media but were not sealed in a bag. I am hoping the carbon did not soak anything out of the air and affect the tank. The goby still seems healthy and is eating just losing his color. Any thoughts??

Thanks

He gets a combination of fresh water mysis shrimp and brine shrimp both with vitamins added so says the package. I do occasionally throw a piece of frozen krill in for the crabs but I dont think he gets to that.

I have three brands I use piscine, omega & san francisco bay brand, the san fran was a recent trial purchase.

pictures

Here are some pics sorry for the quality, is color looks a little better today. There is also a bonus pic of my burrfish puffin up it happened as I was getting the camera I have only seen him puff up twice!!! :)

Attachments

• goby 003.jpg
    goby 003.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 259
  • goby 005.jpg
    goby 005.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 369
  • goby 004.jpg
    goby 004.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 113
  • goby 001.jpg
    goby 001.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 91
He looks perfect to me. A lot of times early in the day or late at night, or even if its especially cloudy, fish will lose almost all their color while they rest as a survival technique to make them blend into rock and sand.

Sweet looking pufferfish! obviously you know that puffing for them is very stressful and should be avoided when possible. I would guess it is your camera flash that did it. Cool none the less though!

He was puffed before I took the pic. I think sometimes he sees his reflection and thinks its another puffer. Like I said this is only like the second or third time he has done it. Not sure what causes him to freak. He has grown over an inch since I got him 2 months ago. He is now got to be at least 6 or 7 inches. He is sooo tame he lets us pet his nose and eats right out of my hand. When he is hungry and I open the lid he will actually squirt water out of the tank. never does it when the lid is closed, it is a hoot.

Like Jimbo stated, fish change color as a defensive mode to blend in with the area they are in. It is also a sign of stress. He looks good and as long as he is eating I see no big problem. Cool Puffer...could the puffer be stressing out the Goby?

Not sure how long you have had him but i will toss out an idea. Many fish will change color depending on if there is a mate around. If your fish was among many females in the wild he would have bright vibrent colors as a sexual display. Over time some fish will fade thier colors when not in the presence of the opposite sex. Flasher wrasse are a prime example of this.

The puffer and goby are in two different tanks. The goby is the only fish in my invert tank. Just crabs a candycane shrimp and feather dusters.

Generally two things come to mind when people refer to fish colour loss:

1. Diet: Poor nutritional values and less than ideal foods
2. Stress: Fish often change colour dependant on mood. Scared, angry etc

What can you do?

Diet: Offer a wide variety of foods (Freshwater mysid? I would offer foods that they may encounter in the wild. Brine shrimp also has little to no value for the fish. Try a DIY mix or a quality pellet.

Stress: Not alot, if it is another tank mate causing the stress possibly look at removing it. Other than that, you may find one day he will be as colourful as any other.

I was told PE mysis was one of the best foods I could feed. All of my fish are carnevours. I also thought that brine shrimp with vitamins was good for them. I dont have any flake food and have never been instructed to buy any. I also buy them 1 piece of fresh scallop every week. They absolutley love it. They also get the occasional snail to help keep there teeth ground down. (fyi this is in my big tank) I guess I could try flake food in my invert tank never thought of it or maybe the pellets Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom