Frogspawn not opening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a great looking frogspawn on Saturday. I placed it in my tank and 3 out of the 4 stalks opened almost immediately and look great. The forth one is still almost completely closed up. I know this isn't much information, but does anyone have an idea why it would be doing this? I will take a pic tonight if I get home and it's still not open. Thanks

tripper

I can't answer your question but I've seen alot of these Frogspawns, and almost all the time there is at least one stalk that is dead or not doing so well. I'd be really interested to find out what causes this.

Please post as much detail about your tank as well as parameters and chemistry. Positioning of the coral, water flow, lighting, nearby corals and so on.

Cheers
Steve

Ok, I have a 72G bowfront with 2 x 150 MH and 2 x 96W PC actinic lighting. 130lbs of LR, HOB refugium with chaeto. The coral is about halfway up in the tank on the right side. The stalk that is not opening is the one furthest to the right, 6-7 inches from the right glass, but still gets a decent amount of light. It is in medium flow and not near any other corals in the tank.

Water Parameters:
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm
Phos: 0
Calc : 450
Alk : Unknown

Let me know what you think.

tripper

Not much looks off there, could simpley be adjust or possibley getting a little more flow than the rest since it's closer to the glass. A slight powerhead adjustmnet would tell you either way. I'd give it a few more days before getting too concerned. Keep a close eye out for brown goo or a cloudy substance forming over the crown.

tripper said:
Alk : Unknown
You need to check that. It could also be part of your problem especially if your dosing or using a poorly balanced saltmix.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks steve-s. I got home yesterday and it was opened more than it had been before. Still not as much as the other stalks, but a big improvement. However, about an hour before the lights turned off, I noticed some long stringy stuff coming from the center. Sorry, I can't really get more technical than that. That stalk retracted and this filament was extending 1-2 inches from the center. I know this can't be good, so what is going on?

I will pick up an Alk test kit tonight and test for that as well.

tripper

Each crown will have an opening where it can injest foods as well as expel waste materials. If it's a dark brown stream of fluid coming from that opening, it's most likely expelling waste. Not necessarily a bad sign unless it's overly stressed.

Cheers
Steve

Ok, thanks for all the help so far. I'll see how he looks tonight when I get home and let you know if it gets and better/worse.

Back
Top Bottom