green-x

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brndfrb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
has anyone ever used Green-X for ich? It is safe for snails and hermits and is supposed to be pretty good. I left the main tank empty for almost 5 weeks and then re introduced the fish back to it and they have ich again. I wanted to get some feed back on this stuff first before i tried it. Or anything else that you can putin your main tank.

Thanks
Brandon

I have never used that product, but I would be very careful dosing with any medications. I had a bout with Ich about three months after My tank was up and running. My LFS said to use a certain pruduct, and within two hours, My fish were gasp their last breath of life. I did an emergency water change of 80% and still lost 4 of my 6 friends. Needless to say I was furious with the LFS and have never gone back to them. So, I went to the next nearest one and they were extermely knowledgeable and helpful. They suggested Melafix. It is all natural and completely reef safe. It is a little more work, but it cured the Ich and I have never had a re-occurance.

I highly recommend it.

Howard

I would certainly not advise using Green-X in a tank with inverts. I know it is marketed as "reef-safe", but to the best of my knowledge, Green-X is a combination of malachite green & formaldehyde - and I do remember specific instances where ppl have used this w/inverts & corals with disastrous results.

Or anything else that you can put in your main tank.

There is no effective in-tank treatment that I am aware of for Ich. The only truly effective treatments are (1) Copper treatment, and (2) Hyposalinity. Neither treatment can be used with inverts present.

When you removed the fish from the tank, did you treat them for ich in the quarantine tank?

yes when i removed the fish i treated them with copper safe. they were in the qt tank for about 5 weeks. I have tried the melafyx CRAp. It idoesn't do anything. I have to treat it with something. I have tried everything

I have never treated a fish with copper, so I really can't speak to the effectiveness of the treatment, or the length of the suggested treatment. I'm posting mostly so this will get bumped back to the top, and hopefully someone else will take a look.

Hyposalinity would still be the treatment of choice. The problem with it though is unless using a proper refractometer, many do not get the salinity low enough (14 ppt) due to the temperature variation when using a swing arm hydrometer. They are not that actuarate for this. >>Here<< is a link that may help with the hypo.

If you prefer to use a copper med and the chelated Coppersafe by Mardel labs is not working, I would suggest getting the chelated copper med Cupramine from Seachem. Just make sure that with either test you are using a chelated copper test kit. Best to use the one by the same manuf that made the medication. If using a standard copper test, you will get an inaccurate reading and possibley not get the elevations high enough to affect the parasite.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom