Halloween Hermit Crab - Getting Ready to Molt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agatheron

Aquarium Advice Regular
For nearly two weeks, we have had our clean-up crew in our new 38g Nuvo Mini tank. Things are going fairly well, although today I had to remove an obviously dead snail.

Right now, our tank consists of 10 Blue-legged hermit crabs, 7 Trochus snails, 1 peppermint shrimp, and 1 Halloween hermit crab my daughter has nicknamed "Jack."

At any rate, Jack traded his shell for a new and larger one within the first week of having him. The shell is a bit big on him and he's been lugging the monstrosity about, but seems to have developed the strength. Recently though, he's been lodging himself in various gaps in the live rock... and clearly wants to stay there. In my paranoia, I thought he might be stuck, so I've moved the rock, moved him, but he's not been keen on it. Jack then either moves back to the same spot, or finds a new place to park. He seems to be eating fine when he's making his way around, but once he stops, he stays...

Since this behaviour is different from the first week we had him, and given that he's claimed a bigger shell, what are the chances that Jack is getting ready to molt?

I'm a newbie to Halloween hermits...

Not sure if it's molting but my Halloween did that and after a couple days he was roaming around again. I didn't see any molts drifting around but it's possible.

Back
Top Bottom