Hyposalinity, now hypo-ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpn4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last week I switched to hyposalinity to treat ich. I have checked my ph daily, which stayed stable at 8.2. Today, It reads 7.4. Can I add baking soda to fix the problem? For a 10g, how much would i use? I am reading conflicting stories on if I can even use baking soda, due to it's dissolvability. Any suggestions? Also, how slow should I raise it? I really do not want to buy a buffer. I have ph down, which clowded up my tank for 2 days the one time I used it in a freshwater. Any suggestions or past experiences would be great.

Kalkwasser will raise your pH level of your water since it alone has a pH of around 12. Becareful though not to raise it to fast and it is a good idea to test your alkalinity and calcium levels also since they work in opposite directions.

Yes baking soda will work, I mix it in top off or water change water, just match what you have and add a little more. Do that over a few days to bring it back up. Then ph adjust your top off (only during hypo) to help keep it stable.

Back
Top Bottom