I think tangs keep a packet of ich in thier pocket....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't claim success but have had no problems with using herbtana in reef tanks.
https://www.microbelift.com/products/home-aquarium/fish-health/herbtana-reef/
Several links to reef central threads if you search herbtanna that may have better results.
Qt is out of the question?

thanks for the link

at this point the damage is done to main tank, so even if I quarantine, it will still be present.

if push comes to shove and the other fish start to be effected badly I can set-up another tank, move all the fish into it and treat them and let the display sit for a couple months, but I realllly want to avoid that if possible.

Just got a Magnum 350 filter as an adjunct, I may set it up and go find some DE powder and run that on the system. It is supposedly able to filter out the little buggers to some degree.

Ok, this officially is beginning to suck!

By yesterday afternoon the tang was looking a little better than in the morning,
BUT my sociopathic six-line wrasse decided, once again, that there were too many fish in the tank and started a relentless attack on a royal gramma.
So I reluctantly had to practically disassemble the rock work and was finally able to get the gramma out, I was aiming for the wrasse, but that will require full tear down I fear.

So of course this morning when I wake up thanks to all the added stress from last nights fiasco, the tang is covered and now my pj cardinal is showing some cysts. :(

I knew this was a very likely outcome, but it was either that or watch the gramma get destroyed and the poor guy is still doing pretty badly. Not sure if he will make. That darn wrasse kept slamming into his side so I wonder about internal damage. :(

But one thing is for certain...
THE WRASSE GOES!!!!

If you end tearing the tank down to get wrasse you might as well catch all fish and move them to qt for treatment and begin a fallow time for the DT.
I wish I had intervened earlier as I lost such beautiful fish and 2 of my most expensive$$$ fish ever :(

If you end tearing the tank down to get wrasse you might as well catch all fish and move them to qt for treatment and begin a fallow time for the DT.
I wish I had intervened earlier as I lost such beautiful fish and 2 of my most expensive$$$ fish ever :(

Yes, I've considered that, only problem is I just laid out a pretty penny on a chiller and I can't run it on two separate systems so I would have to risk either the fish or coral to high temps.
Unchecked my tanks can hit 90 easy this time of the year.

So far everyone still eats good and is as active as normal.

but on a sadder note, the royal gramma didn't make it...:(
upon closer inspection, the wrasse had almost made a hole in it's side.

WRASSE IS GONNA GO!!!!

I like royal grammas better than six-line wrasses and I doubt I will be able to add anything else with him in there, and I have a chalk bass sitting in the wings getting fattened up so he can join the big boys.

Well the battle still goes on...:(

still having outbreaks of spots every 3-5 days, but at least every one is still eating good and active, all except for my polka-dot cardinal.
It seems the powder brown has taken a distinct dislike to him and chases him whenever in sight. Thanks to that the cardinal now has ragged fins and is by far the one getting the worst from the ich now.
I moved him up to the refugium so at least he won't be getting chased.

I also managed to solve a little problem I was having with space.
my 35 year old UV sterilizer is simply too big to fit anywhere conveniently, I then I realized I have a big chunk of unused space between the display and refugium.
So I gutted my sterilizer, bought a new transformer, a little break-out box and mounted the whole mess under the shelf my refugium sits on. Water is pumped up at ~ 50gph and empties right back into the tank at the opposite end.

img_3247925_0_01aa1ddffb41d4dfda0b1a1ae7d8a2e4.jpg

mounted the hardware up out of the way and used big hose clamps to suspend the light unit.
img_3247925_1_b8ff5d31f54952b4976dffc28a0cc98f.jpg

and the entire mess is completely hidden when the display canopy is in place. (y)

kinda nice that every part of that sterilizer can be purchased at Home Depot, except the bulb and quartz sleeve.
I pray I never break that sleeve, don't know if I could find an exact replacement.
bulbs are super easy to find. I use 18 watt GE medical grade germicidal lamps, rated for 8,000 hours. I get them from 1000bulbs.com

Well, not worse but not better yet. :(
everyone is eating fine, but still flashing and the tang has been doing much better.
I think the UV is helping keep any major population blooms in check....I hope.
What bites is it could still be a couple months before I can be comfortable adding any new fish and I have a chalk bass waiting in the wings. :(

unfortunately my pj cardinal seems to be taking it all the hardest. He is in the refugium so he's not being hassled, but he's not looking better in terms of parasites.
he had one eye with a few cysts on it started to cloud up over for a few days and it is now starting to go away. he looked like he had a cataract.

overall it is beginning to subside, but far from in the clear yet.

OK, the bell has rung for round 4 of this bout as my tang is covered again this morning.

Beginning to fear I may have to take drastic measures and figure out how to quarantine fish and keep them from boiling in the heat...:(

LOL, just watched my yellow coris wrasse do a cleaning on the tang.
I've heard they do cleaning sometimes, cool to see it, wish he didn't feel the need to do it.

why couldn't this happen in December when I don't need to worry about temps?

This is really perplexing.
While my tang, clown and pj cardinal are getting ravaged pretty hard from this ordeal, my wrasses and damsel are pretty much untouched, especially the damsel.
I think it most likely has to do with the tang and clown being "soft bodied" and the others being scaled more robustly.
I know that is one reason tangs are so susceptible to external parasites, but never have I seen a situation where certain fish are so effected while others appear unscathed. The wrasses do flash here and there, but nothing at all out of kilter with the damsel.

I'm trying to figure a way to set up a hospital tank and still be able to keep them both cool........

I'm floating frozen water bottles in the ten gallon housing the chalk bass, but on the 30 gallon available for a hospital I know from experience it doesn't work that great.

I have been excessively anal about NOT introducing anything into the ten gallon and so far so good.

at least the pods are going nuts and it currently looks like a dust storm in there and the glass has thousands crawling around. I noticed my candy cane corals had their feeder tentacles out much more pronounced this morning when the lights went on and kept them out for about 90 minutes longer after than usual, I assume they were enjoying the food storm...LOL

and my lawnmower blenny has shown -27% interest in eating anything except sucking the rocks...:(
been actually keeping lights on more/higher to try to get more algae growing.
crazy, I fight to get rid of it, but now I need some to grow...

I hope your lawnmower fairs better than mine bud. I've been watching him for about a year now because he had a 'sunken' stomach compared to the fat he had for the longest time. In the end, I think that lawnmowers either have an issue in the long run or some are coming in with a disease or parasite.

Well, my powder brown lost his personal battle. :(
Came home this afternoon and he was dead.
He had been eating good and looked ok this morning, but 10 hours later gone.

I wonder how this will progress now as it was almost as if the tang was an incubator.
If my clown recovers then it may go well.

BUT still seriously contemplating setting up another tank and going fallow in the display for a while.
but cooling is still an issue.

well. not going good.
lost the PJ cardinal and the bangaii and clown are not far behind. :(
oodinium (marine velvet) is what is doing them in, the ich merely lowered resistance so the oodinium really took hold.

the wrasses and damsel are still untouched from what I can tell....odd :confused:

the lawnmower blennie is getting food somewhere as his belly isn't all pinched in anymore, but I have let the display get "dirty" with more algae, so.....

looks like I'm gonna end up with only two fish left that I want, the damsel and blennie.
once this mess settles a bit I'm gonna pull out the wrasses and rescape the tank and go fallow for couple of months.
Oh well, will give me time to focus on set-up and coral placement.

still have the chalk bass waiting in a ten gallon. At least he is doing great and has tripled in size since I got him and NOW is big enough to go in the main tank, but of course he can't, so I have to keep this little tank running for a while longer!!

really am rather pissed off at myself over the whole mess :banghead:

wait until I inform the wife that the cardinals are gone........:ermm:

Sorry to hear that bud. Marine velvet is an awful thing. If it'll make the wife feel better, you can tell her my PJ cardinal is still ok? Worth a shot until you can replace it.

Well lost the clown yesterday and today the bangaii....:(

Can't convey how pissed I am at myself. I should have known better, now I've lost fish that I've had for over a year.

Sorry to hear this also.
Unfortunately marine ich is no where near as "easy" to cure as freshwater ich.
I hope you work this all out.

Back
Top Bottom