I upgraded my pump to a 1800 gph pump and still no luck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not one tank out there is phosphate free 0 reading is reason to be concerned
almost every tank has a trace of phosphate .03 is the most common if its lower at 0 or higher above .03 there's reason to be concerned

When I ask about algae I'm asking about nuisance not macro
there are 2 types of algae 1 good as the other is bad
yes both consume excess nutrients but macro's tend not to hide nutrients as they don't absorb 100%
nuisance algae tends to mask excess nutrients as they absorb almost all
this link explains it better than I can as I am bad with wording
Algae and How It Can Affect Your Aquarium
I have been working with macros for almost 5 years and learned a lot
like any thing there's always more to learn , but for the part about how they absorb nutrients it is very different , macro algae if used correctly can be your best friend
they need constant trimming to remove the ends holding the nutrients they act as a sponge they absorb a good amount of the excess nutrients but at the same time will not hide nutrients to the point of a 0 reading as only the first 4 inch will consume nutrients , with nuisance algae they absorb almost of the nutrients as the whole organism absorbs nutrients giving false readings as this algae grows masking the issues those nutrients can cause

I agree with PB.
Something is going on.
Ammonia needs a source.
What do feed your fish/inverts and how often?
I use API tets kits and it is 0 or .25.
My tank may be .03 or almost anything below .25 and possibly read zero.
But the API kit will not show.
These kits require judgement and deciphering at times IMO.

not one tank out there is phosphate free 0 reading is reason to be concerned
almost every tank has a trace of phosphate .03 is the most common if its lower at 0 or higher above .03 there's reason to be concerned

When I ask about algae I'm asking about nuisance not macro
there are 2 types of algae 1 good as the other is bad
yes both consume excess nutrients but macro's tend not to hide nutrients as they don't absorb 100%
nuisance algae tends to mask excess nutrients as they absorb almost all
this link explains it better than I can as I am bad with wording
Algae and How It Can Affect Your Aquarium
I have been working with macros for almost 5 years and learned a lot
like any thing there's always more to learn , but for the part about how they absorb nutrients it is very different , macro algae if used correctly can be your best friend
they need constant trimming to remove the ends holding the nutrients they act as a sponge they absorb a good amount of the excess nutrients but at the same time will not hide nutrients to the point of a 0 reading as only the first 4 inch will consume nutrients , with nuisance algae they absorb almost of the nutrients as the whole organism absorbs nutrients giving false readings as this algae grows masking the issues those nutrients can cause

I'm sorry but that logic is still flawed. If algae is growing in the display to a point of nuisance, than yes, there is/may be an issue with too many excess nutrients present and the algae isn't "masking" them, but rather is an indicator that something is amiss.
But to give the impression that you are getting false readings is erroneous.
You make it sound as if there is still free nitrate and phosphate present in concentrations that would cause harm, BUT because there is algae in the tank, your test kit won't detect it, which is completely wrong.

That article you linked really doesn't say much except for the mere basics concerning algae control and how it impacts an aquarium and some of the info is incorrect.:huh:

I feed a cube a day and miss one day on the weekends but I am using the API test kit . And my aquatic life ro unit is what's putting 66ppm out . My display is over run with algae but I'm not using anything besides calcium and alk . I am doing a 50 percent water change as we speak and cleaned my sump it was disgusting I did not touch my sand bed but I did redo my plumbing and sump completely today .

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I feed a cube a day and miss one day on the weekends but I am using the API test kit . And my aquatic life ro unit is what's putting 66ppm out . My display is over run with algae but I'm not using anything besides calcium and alk . I am doing a 50 percent water change as we speak and cleaned my sump it was disgusting I did not touch my sand bed but I did redo my plumbing and sump completely today .

Change filters in the ro or get a better one.
The water should be zero if the unit is performing properly.
Low pressure can lower the efficiency of the unit also.
Does the unit have DI?

I change out my filters when my tds reads 6 or so...not 66. Did anyone address flow inside the tank? Can I see a closer fts?

Ya the filters I just bought about four months ago and it only sat at ten I just got tired of messing with the unit and yes it is di

It's all about your source water IMO!
You got to get it to 0TDS and then the algae will reduce and you can deal with the normal headaches(Po4,silica....).

Lol ya I agree I hauled water when I did my 50 percent so maybe it'll help

Back
Top Bottom