Leather coral help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khmer86

Aquarium Advice Regular
Guys,

Need help with my leather coral I purchased at lfs two weeks ago today. It has a white waxy coating on a few spots at first then spread to the whole coral. Was told it was a toadstool leather coral and it hasn't opened up since I brought it home, however I purchased a bigger toadstool two days ago and that toadstool is opening and thriving really good with no issue. Any ideas?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425233996.470191.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425234011.769784.jpg
1. Type & how long you have had it: toadstool leather coral, two weeks

2. Current lighting & Bulb Age: 165w full spectrum led light running 50percent blues/20 percent white

3. Nitrate: none

4. Calcium: 420

5. Phosphate: almost undetected

6. Alkalinity: 9dkh

7. pH: 8.2

8. Salinity: 1.026

9. Temperature: 80-82F

10. Liquid or strip test kits: liquid

11. Location in tank: bottom

12. Current amount of flow: wp-25 and koralia 950gph

13. Current tank dosing regimen: 2 part calcium and alk

14. Nearby coral: flowerpot coral

15. Explanation of problem: not opening

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry it's not the best picture but all other corals are doing great (bigger toadstool coral, flowerpot, green star polyps, and colt coral)

Was it acclimated to the tank, both water and lighting? It can easily be stressed by both and it may be trying to shed a layer of 'skin' as a protective measure.
One thing along with that is that it might not be happy with the flow in that area as there are 2 larger corals blocking the way.
It being so close to the flower pot is also a recipe for disaster.

I recently just moved it to that spot to see how it would react, I may move the flowerpot since it is a bit close, I did drip acclimation same way I do with my fish and also did light acclimation on my light for one week since my lfs had it on semi bright actinic lights

I tried to google and most people had same issues but theirs opened up within a week of shedding and wax coating went away, not sure what I did wrong or what is wrong with it

What are your current parameters? Size of tank? What is the lighting? Can you show us a picture of it? How about the tank? What exactly is the 'issue' at hand?

Answers to most questions are at beginning of the posts, question of the issue are it's been two weeks since my leather coral not opening and is this something to be concern about? My lfs said even tho it should be open by now if it's healthy that I wouldn't be too alarmed yet but keep a close eye on it for the time being and as long as my leather coral is not droopy looking then I should be ok just a waiting game. My tank is 75gallon with 29g sump and running off two led light fixture at 165w each. Pumps are one jebao wp-40 and one koralia 950 I believe or stronger forgot exact pump.

It can be ok. I've had the mushroom leather in my tank close up for a couple of days while it was shedding. It being moved already to the new spot could have had it lengthen it being closed up...but personally, I'd still want it on the other side of the larger leather to get some flow to it and away from the flowerpot.

I don't want to move the leather coral since it may delay even longer to opening up so I may have to move the flowerpot instead since the flowerpot seems to be opening just fine anywhere I placed it, thanks sniper! By the end of this week if it doesn't open what is my next option to choose? I did a 20% water change over the weekend.

The choice is moving it or assuming something is wrong and doing a coral dip. I wouldn't be surprised if moving the flowerpot could address this as well.

I've always noticed that toad stools do better up about mid-range on the rocks ,
I never had any luck with them on the sand , but my hand leather and flower leather like it down low in the sand , every leather has its own likes and dislikes of its placement and flow ratio

I moved the flowerpot to a different locations so hope the leather coral do better if not I have to move the leather coral higher on rocks and see how it do

Back
Top Bottom