Live Rock in my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am setting up a 450g FO marine tank. I am going to put about 300 lbs of lr in the tank to start (mainly because of cost concerns). I know that putting lr in a new tank is easier than adding rock later.

Should I bite the bullet and spend more money initially in order to avoid having to add rock later?

While on the topic, any words of wisdom on how I go about adding lr to an already established tank.

Thanks,

---------------
Pete R.
New York

peterac said:
Should I bite the bullet and spend more money initially in order to avoid having to add rock later?
Augment the high cost of LR with dead/dry base rock. In a tank that size LR only will cost a fortune. You should be able to get a decent amount of dry base rock for less than $1.50/lb. A smaller portion of LR can be added to "seed" the base rock and you eventually end up with the same thing at less than ½ the price. You could easily use as much as 80% dry and 20% live. The ratio's up to you and your wallet :wink:

While on the topic, any words of wisdom on how I go about adding lr to an already established tank.
Cure it seperately....
Curing Live Rock? I didn't even know it was sick!!

Cheers
Steve

If it can be included in the budget, get all the lr you need in the beginning. This way you won't have to cure it later. It is much easier on you, and your fish.

Mike

Agree with Salttanker because I went through the curing process with an oder later after my tank was uip for about 5 months what a pain in the @$$ that was...

If it can be included in the budget, get all the lr you need in the beginning. This way you won't have to cure it later. It is much easier on you, and your fish.

Well I bit the bullet and went with 380 lbs. of live rock. Nice stuff. Loaded with tons of goodies. So right now I have 380 lbs. of lr in a 450g tank. Now it's waiting time.

I'll post some pix on my progress.

-----------------
Pete R.
Malverne, NY

Buy 200 lbs. of base and 200 lbs. of live. You will be set. Then if you want to add small amounts later, in a 400 gallon, it will be possible.

Very cool Peterac! I would love to see that rock. I'll bet it's crawing with life on it. This makes me really want my 300G tank this year now!

Mike

You could still add base rock now. With that amount ot LR it will become live in no time. hirocks.com or the CaribSea 50 pound box at thatfishplace.com can be had for less than $1.50 per pound.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the 380lb. order? I need to consider this for my 300G I am going to get this year. Thanks

Mike

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the 380lb. order? I need to consider this for my 300G I am going to get this year. Thanks

I spent $2,280 total ($6.00 per pound). I know I could have done better on the Internet (around $5.00 with shipping), however, my aquarium store rep worked with me on this and he handpicked the pieces for me. Then I paid him to help me aquascape it. He had one of his partners get inside the tank and we handed him pieces.

Oh, I was impressed with his technique. He used as few pieces as possible in contact with the substrate on the bottom and this helped to create nice caves and also will allow me to keep my substrate cleaner.

Pix coming soon!

Pete R.

:lol: OK..if a person can get INSIDE the tank, that qualifies as big in my books!

Pictures....please! Sounds outstanding.

Your not kidding! You can swim in that thing! Thanks for the info Pete. At least I know how much to look at. Definitely send some pics once you get it all set. Shoot, just send pics of the tank so we can drool. :p

Mike

I cant believe you have a tank that can hold more than 8 of my 55 gallon tanks

Yes I probably should have my head examined - but in the long run I think all will work out good and the extra volume should make my life easier :D

Back
Top Bottom