peppermint shrimp losing coloring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilster1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got two peppermint shrimp in my 55.. I've had these guys for about 10 months and they have been very healthy.. great personalities on these two. I've noticed that one of them is losing his coloring.. I'll get some pics up tonight but it seems he is just becoming translucent from the head back. The other guy is fine.. they both eat like pigs and molt on a seemingly regular basis though I've never caught them in the act.

Any ideas?

Parameters:
55g + 10g volume in sump
ammonia/nitrites 0, nitrates ~10
feed frozen mysis/emerald entree every other day
topoff w/RO ~1gal/day
PWC 5Gal/week

How often do you do a PWC and what volume are you changing out?

A PWC should replace all the trace elements including iodine.

pwc is 5 gal every weekend.. been religious about that and it has paid off.

Tonight's update.. everyone is still fine. I brought home some iodine and added a capful for good measure since my topoff routine has 5 gal of ro water being added over a week's time. fed the tank some froxen mysis shrimp.. the "inverted genocide" is just hilarious, they love to chase down their food swimming inverted. They will even chase my finger around the tank, no fear at all.

Peppermint Shrimp (as well as most other inverts) will fade in color after they shed their exoskeleton. Give it a few days, and I bet he colors back up.

Dosing iodine is tricky. I'd not bother with it, IMHO. I've never dosed iodine, and never had a single invert death.

I agree that fresh made SW does have iodine in it but not enough for a large invert population. Crabs lobsters and hermits need this element for molting purpose. Been using for over eight years now. But always dose under what they call for. Adding iodine in my tank anyway is a good idea IMO. What you do is up to you. Alot of iodine is lost to skimming and rapid use and should be replenished unless you do a PWC twice a week.

Back
Top Bottom