QT headache any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone, have a small problem with my QT. I posted last week regarding the limits of the QT when doing the initial stock for a tank, however I have a problem beyond the stocking limit.

I currently have a 20G QT with UV, Skimmer, HOB. This tank was the tank I played with to decide if I really liked SW. I have since setup a 105G tank and made the 20G my QT. The problem is that I have a clown in the QT right now that was in there before it was a QT. I want to add him and 2 other clowns to my display.
Now for my question. As I have posted before I want 5 chromis, 3 clowns, and a purp tang for my display. I have been told to add the chromis first, however what do I do with the clown thats in QT right now? He is very established and will likely not enjoy the company of 5 chromis. If I simply add him to the display the role is reversed when its time to put the chromis in the display. Sorry for the long post, just confused on what to do.

FOr a tank the size of yours I see no problem in adding the clowns to your display tank now. Then qting the chromis and then adding them to the display.

Should i add the one clown now and then the other two once they are done? I haven't picked the other two up yet? Will the first clown family up to them if he has two weeks alone in the display you think? Thanks again FF.

I personally wouldn't add but one more clown, three clowns usually ends up in one beaten and battered clown and a pair. Where two clowns (sized appropriately) will end up a pair.

Okay, thanks i'll just get him a buddy. All the clowns at my LFS have brook and im not buying there. I was going to go online for another. Size is from 3/4" to 1.25" My clown is about 1.25" Will a 3/4 and a 1 1/4 buddy up or is that too much difference? Thanks RR

I was going to go online for another.

I would wait till you can find a healthy one local, every time I've ordered small online...I've gotten what most would consider large ;) They will send you what they have and charge you for what you ordered.

Will a 3/4 and a 1 1/4 buddy up or is that too much difference?

That should be fine, it is unlikely at 1.25" that your clown has reached maturity and started changing sex to female.

would wait till you can find a healthy one local
Yea, my LFS is notorious for sick looking fish. I love their corals, but it seems like everything in thier tanks has something. I wince everytime someone buys a fish while im in there. Unfortunately he is the only person in town with TR percs. I might just buy a healthy appearing fish and do a FW dip followed up with a long QT.

Back
Top Bottom