Review of LFS in New York... For Newbies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evenings

Aquarium Advice Activist
We live in queens, NY and have been to almost all the LFS in our area. It was troublesome finding all of them, some are a good find while some ended up being a waste of our time. So here is a simple review of all the LFS we've been to in the New York area for those newbies in NY or visitors who might want to stop by.

1. www.fishtown-usa.com - The store is huge and is a dedicated store for tropical fish and ponds. They have a huge selection of tropical fish from freshwater to saltwater. Great selection of equipments and food and other stuff. PROS- great pricing, very competitive, wide selection of fish, cheapest fish and LR in all of NY. CONS- there's at least one deadfish in a tank, if not two or three sick fish. Inspect your fish well before purchasing. Make sure they eat before u purchase.

2. Northern Aquariums (718)321-9722 - A decent sized store, huge if you visit both stores which are about 15 blocks apart and owned by the same owner. a Little pricey on the fish, but somehow their fish sells like pancakes, have not seen a sick fish in their tanks, knowledgeable staff. They sell reptiles and Birds and Dogs too, but seem to be more concentrated on Tropical fishes, Great selection of Inverts and corals. PROS - Somewhat ok pricing, healthy fish displays, never gets as crazy as fishtown, after all, we all need attention when purchasing our fish. They will order anything for u, Once they know u, u get discounts galore CONS - price is a little high for fish and corals, but almost sure they are always healthy. Busy Chinatown in flushing, no parking except municipal parking three -4 blocks away.

3. Coral Aquariums (roosevelt ave) Let's just say I've never bought anything from this store. My second visit was only because they said they have something in stock over the phone, but when we got there 10 mins later, it was not there, I doubt it was purchsed while we were driving there. Very disappointing experience.

4. www.1000islandaquarium.com (brooklyn)- PROS - The best set-up i've seen yet so far. They custom make their tanks. Cleanest water I've seen. Visit this store to browse their stock and it's already worth it. CONS- a little pricey on fish and equipment. on Busy street, park on meters.

TO BE CONT. I gotta go to work, im late again.

I've been going to Fish-Town USA for 20 years
For the most part I think they are great.

Back
Top Bottom