Shell-less crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lauramichelle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I just noticed my blue leg crab flying thru the aquarium via the current. He landed on a rock and ducked into the safety of a crack. He had no shell. Is this normal?
Thank you

image-221659256.jpg

Whats happing at the moment is your crab is most likely shedding its shell by a process of malting which is completely normal.If your calcium levels are adequate then in time your crabs should grow its shell. Whats happing at the moment is your crab is most likely shedding its shell by a process of malting which is completely normal.

bobbedmarly said:
Whats happing at the moment is your crab is most likely shedding its shell by a process of malting which is completely normal.If your calcium levels are adequate then in time your crabs should grow its shell. Whats happing at the moment is your crab is most likely shedding its shell by a process of malting which is completely normal.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not but all the information you gave was incorrect. The crab might be looking for a new shell because it may have been kicked out of its old one. I had one hermit live out of a shell for a week. I don't know whether it died or found a new shell.

Well, It's true that crabs molt. Are you absolutely sure the thing you saw flying across the tank was alive?

Hi X. Yes. It landed on the rock then crawled a few inches under the rock above it. Totally alive

Never seen that before,but they can be forced out of a shell by another hermit,I would place an empty shell near to where it entered the rock so it may house this shell,they are very exposed without there shell.

You can buy then online or at the lfs... or go to your lfs to see if they have empty ones in the tank that you can mooch of them. At least that is how I get extra shells :)

Back
Top Bottom