Sick Clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kvark27

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here is a picture of my new clownfish. I added this with another clown that was already paired together. Looks like something is growing on her lip and she isn't swimming around and looking very healthy today. Any help would be appreciated. Yes the fish has a tail.. Looks blurry in the picture but it's the best one I have to show her lip!

Kyle

Attachments

• image-1445596699.jpg
    image-1445596699.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 93
Here is a picture of my new clownfish. I added this with another clown that was already paired together. Looks like something is growing on her lip and she isn't swimming around and looking very healthy today. Any help would be appreciated. Yes the fish has a tail.. Looks blurry in the picture but it's the best one I have to show her lip!

Kyle

Is the fish eating? Did the growth appear overnight or has it gotten bigger on a daily basis?? My first thought would be Lymphocyctis

FA181/FA181: Lymphocystis Disease in Fish

Best regards and good luck!
Frank

Thanks for the reply. I will look into that. I noticed it yesterday afternoon and it has grown today. There was no growth 2 days ago, started yesterday. It's almost like she tries to eat but she can't with the growth there, if that makes sense? Is there something I can do to help recover or is it pretty bad/too late?

Just read your link you provided, thank you. That states that I basically have to let it run it's course and it may take a few weeks. The only thin that is still concerning is if that growth is preventing her from eating... Any tips?

Thanks for the reply. I will look into that. I noticed it yesterday afternoon and it has grown today. There was no growth 2 days ago, started yesterday. It's almost like she tries to eat but she can't with the growth there, if that makes sense? Is there something I can do to help recover or is it pretty bad/too late?

Well if it is lympho unfortunately there is no sure fire cure... The best you can do is either use smaller food and soak the food in garlic to enhance the flavor to get her to eat. Are you feeding with frozen food or Spectra pebbles?

With Lymp you want the fish to eat to so they build up their immune system and fight it off naturally..

Also you really want to go overboard on water changes keeping ammonia and nitrates as low as possible!

Ok I understand. Should I change more of my water more frequently until it clears up to keep the water ideal?

Ok I understand. Should I change more of my water more frequently until it clears up to keep the water ideal?

If it's possible to do, yes. And you just want to keep an eye on her to look for signs that it's not a more serious issue, body mucus/slime, etc... But as of now, it sounds like Lympho..

Best regards!

Here is my clown this morning.. Still there and she stays in the same general area of the tank. I am heading to my lfs now to get some water to make a change.

Attachments

• image-3188436235.jpg
    image-3188436235.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 86
Here is my clown this morning.. Still there and she stays in the same general area of the tank. I am heading to my lfs now to get some water to make a change.

Looking at that last pic. It looks like a growth is in her mouth? It's hard to tell though. It could very well be a fungal infection.. And if she won't eat the only course of treatment will be to move her to a QT and treat.. A sound product you can use and should be easy to find locally is PimaFix.. It says it's reef safe but I can't attest to that.

Bacterial and Fungal Medications: PimaFix & MelaFix Treatments

Well I showed the pictures to the owner of lfs who always helps me. He thinks she probably bumped into a rock when the lights came on the first time or something and it cut her mouth. She ate pretty well today as well. He said to give it time and it should heal fine.

Well I showed the pictures to the owner of lfs who always helps me. He thinks she probably bumped into a rock when the lights came on the first time or something and it cut her mouth. She ate pretty well today as well. He said to give it time and it should heal fine.

As long as she's eating that's a huge positive sign. The 2 main signs things could go downhill are, not eating and rapid breathing..

Awesome, thanks for the help. I'll keep posting updates if anything changes!

Back
Top Bottom