Sick Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arod-diaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had some recent issues with my tank since I added a Powder Brown Tang. I did not QT tang but slowly acclimated. He then contracted ich and this has spread to almost all other fish. I started to feed Dr Gs Anti parasitic caviar. All was well but woke to find him dead yesterday and today I had a damsel and seahorse pass. I'm thinking this might be Brook. Please help. I have had these fish for years and never had issues. They are still eating and acting somewhat normal.

image-3527471220.jpg

Keep in mind I have a reef tank that is 120 gallons with live rock so catching fish is nearly impossible. Also I recently dosed Kalkwasser on a drip....not sure if this made things worse.

Ph 8.3
Nitrate >10
Phosphate 0
dkH 12
Calcium 300 ppm trying to fix this
Salinity 1.023
Temp varies 76-79

Infected fish include
Fox face eatin anti parasitic
Angel Beauty eatin anti parasitic
Neon Goby eatin anti parasitic
Clown not eatin anti parasitic

I have had some recent issues with my tank since I added a Powder Brown Tang. I did not QT tang but slowly acclimated. He then contracted ich and this has spread to almost all other fish. I started to feed Dr Gs Anti parasitic caviar. All was well but woke to find him dead yesterday and today I had a damsel and seahorse pass. I'm thinking this might be Brook. Please help. I have had these fish for years and never had issues. They are still eating and acting somewhat normal.

View attachment 164902

Keep in mind I have a reef tank that is 120 gallons with live rock so catching fish is nearly impossible. Also I recently dosed Kalkwasser on a drip....not sure if this made things worse.

Ph 8.3
Nitrate >10
Phosphate 0
dkH 12
Calcium 300 ppm trying to fix this
Salinity 1.023
Temp varies 76-79

It's hard to tell from your pic.. But my clown is a little under the weather also so I've done TONS of research on brook, velvet, etc.. If it's brook you'll see a coat of slime/mucus. Which is hard to depict from your pic.. If you notice this slime/mucus, then I'd say that I'm 99.9% sure it is Brook... Is the clown swimming into a power head? or wave maker? they'll do this when they're gills get filled with mucus for the water flow..

I'm also using Dr. G's anti-parasitic, but remember, medication by food takes time because it has to build up in the fish. I'm feeding about 3-4 times a day! If you're only doing 2 feedings, chances are good the dosage is going to be to low to really cure a full blown brook outbreak. Also, with the food by medication, remember it works by starting from inside the fish and progress out..

Depending on the stage of the brook, you may need to take immediate action and do a Formalin (quick cure) dip..

Frank

P.S- Also, you may want to pick up some Dr. G's Anti-Bacteria food or caviar and do supplemental feedings to combat bacterial infections because with the Brook they're immune systems are shot so they're going to be at greater risk for bacterial infections..

I also am double dosing with SeaChem's StressGuard to help reduce stress and replace the fish's slime coat..

Thank you for quick response. He does not exhibit any of those behaviors he is just acting sluggishly other issue is he will only eat flake an brine spits out anti parasitic.

Do you think if I only offer anti parasitic he will eventually eat anti parasitic caviar?

P.S- Also, you may want to pick up some Dr. G's Anti-Bacteria food or caviar and do supplemental feedings to combat bacterial infections because with the Brook they're immune systems are shot so they're going to be at greater risk for bacterial infections..

I also am double dosing with SeaChem's StressGuard to help reduce stress and replace the fish's slime coat..

Is that similar to prime?

Thank you for quick response. He does not exhibit any of those behaviors he is just acting sluggishly other issue is he will only eat flake an brine spits out anti parasitic.

Do you think if I only offer anti parasitic he will eventually eat anti parasitic caviar?

If she gets hungry enough he should. Are you adding any garlic? The first day I started using the Caviar my clown wouldn't touch it. The other fish ate it, so the next feeding I mixed the caviar in some garlic, let it sit for a minute and she started gobbling it up..

But, if she won't eat the caviar right now. Soak whatever she will eat in garlic and just make sure she is eating at least something..

When she's not eating or spits food out, that usually signals a turn for the worse, plus you want her to keep eating to help keep her strong and to build up her immune system.

Is that similar to prime?

No... completely different.

Seachem. StressGuard

StressGuard™ is the premium slime coat protection product. StressGuard™ will reduce stress and ammonia toxicity whenever handling or transporting fish. StressGuard™ binds to exposed protein in wounds to promote healing of injured fish and to reduce the likelihood of primary and secondary infections.

Thank you. I will try and let you know.

If you have any questions, let me know.. As I said, I've done a TON of research as my clown is ill also... Doing all I can to get it in check.

I have a QT tank, but, with the immune system weakened already, catching her and moving her to the QT is only going to add more stress and I fear that'll make her even worse!

Back
Top Bottom