STDS (Sudden Tang Death Syndrome)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anemoneman

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Yellow up and died yesterday. Eating the day before, fat and sassy, no visible signs of stress.
Checked water:
amm = 0
nitrite = 0
'trate = 0
pH = 8.0
temp = 82.7 F
SP = 1.0225 (little low but not enough to kill IMO)

I've heard of Tangs dying suddenly but not after 4 years. It was pretty skittish when new (neurotic is more like it). Dunno. Lots of macro to graze. Maybe not enough greens in my homegrown food. No visible signs of disease on it's dead body. It died during the night and had about a dozen bristle worms on it when I found it in the morning. They were already doing their job.

Post death action:
Bring SP up to 1.025
30% water change

Anyone else have unexplained fish deaths?

I have had unexplained carpet surfing before.

Maybe it was just that fish's time to go to the great big ocean in the sky....

:B-fly: :lilangel:

From the description as well as the length of time in the tank...my first suspicion would be predation or trauma of some type, rock slide maybe? Sudden fright in the middle of the nite and a mad dash ending with it's cranium slamming into a rock....

No visible trauma although I won't rule it out. It was found among the (large) finger leather's arms. Maybe an overdose of nematocycst stings? The FL seems to have a weak sting tho, it usually loses the tag war with nearby corals. I had some sawtooth go sexual a few days ago but I thought I caught it in time. Maybe it was damaged internally then. Oh well. I just hate to kill 'em and then have to buy another fish caught from the ocean. 4 yrs isn't a very good track record.

Mark

Anemoneman said:
4 yrs isn't a very good track record.

Mark

Sorry to hear of your loss....it does prompt me to ask about the life expectancy of the fish we keep. Does anyone know of anyplace that has this kind of info listed?

Back
Top Bottom