Tiny, tiny white spots on tang. How to treat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this ick?? my tank is new, about 4-5 weeks. the powder brown tang and been very, very happy and active. Water parameters are good although a little high on the NO3.

Best treatment? I intend to add corals in a couple of weeks. TIA

A few questions.
Did you qt the tang? What are her tankmates? Is she eating, active?
sound like your fish may be a victim of ich, here is a good article to get you up to speed on this parasite.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html
I am moving this to the sick fish forum where it will get more attention, please ask us specific questions that you may have about treatments for the fish and the system. We are here to help. :wink:
Also if you can get us a pic of the fish, that would greatly help in the diagnosis.

Kurt, she's not in QT. her mates are only 1 flame angel and one lawnmower blenny, except for the cleaners; 1 shrimp, 10 small hermits and an emerald crab. They're all in a 55 gal that finished cycling 2 1/2 weeks ago.

She's very active, eating and otherwise healthy in every respect except the new spots. The Angel still doesn't show symptoms.

I read the article in your link. Very helpful although, they say treatment is invariably in QT yet many cataloges have meds (non-copper) that allow in tank treatment. I'm thinking of Kent Rx-P. Any knowledge of this product? Thanks again.

Very helpful although, they say treatment is invariably in QT yet many cataloges have meds (non-copper) that allow in tank treatment
The problem is that you are dealing with a invert (this parasite is actually one) and any med that claim to be reef safe is not strong enough to kill off the parasite and conversely any med that is strong enough to kill off the parasite will harm your system and other non fish animals.
Meds like Kent Rx-P remain on the market because new hobbiests that don't know better keep buying this stuff and unfortunately there are LFS's out these that keep pushing this stuff.
The advise in the article is the way to go. Unfortunately the easy way is not always the best way.

Just a thought, but it could be the size of the tank that may be the problem. Tangs seem to stress in small environments. Just a thought.
Whatever you decide to do, start soaking the food in Garlic Xtreme and Selcon. This will assist in the fight against ich.
As QS mentioned, get a QT tank. These things are literately life savers. Good luck.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom