Toadstool Leather sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently moved, yes tank and all. Fortunately only about 200 ft. I did empty the tank, all but the LS and 10 gal SW. Everything went pretty well, I only lost my YT and Lawn Mover Blenny. Well the Leather shroom decided to take a nap. He(it) is about 12" dia. A week after the move the move, no polyps would extend. There was no drooping, cap would open up, just no polyp extension. I was looking for some slime or other clue indicating stress. Now he is open and all polyps are extended. Could it be getting ready to split or something?

Probably just was irritated from the move. They wil slime over with a clear film and then open back up later after shedding the coating. I like to think of it as the coral having a "facial"

I thought they did this. But very little slime was produced. Didn't event happen until the same moment the polyps started to appear again.

Thanks for the words.

Leathers will do what we call sloughing. It is where they just close and get small and no polyp extension. It usually happens every 2 or 3 weeks IME

It is where they just close and get small and no polyp extension. It usually happens every 2 or 3 weeks IME

Had it for at least 6 mos. nowandthisis the first time. I've heard they did this, but I thought it would have produced more slime than it did.

Thanks

Mine does not slough that often but they do do it. I have one I just fragged that has not opened up yet. It should be fine but sucks waiting. If he is opening good now, I would not worry.

Back
Top Bottom