UV light and ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mercury64

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Everyone, have a two part question
Just recently in the past month ick as become a problem for me so I decided to by a uv
My question is shoud it be running 24/7 or just for so many hours a day
Also I have a candy stripeangel, e got the old cloudy eye going, I addedin some copper safe last night and tis morning his eye was cleared up ,latter today he got it back, kind of weird, last night wen I looked at him it looked like the chunk of white stuff was kind of hanging and tis morning it was gone but now its back, got te uv running and te copper safe in, what am I doing wrong

Running it 24X7 is fine. Make sure you have the flow rate thru the UV as it is recommended by the manufacter or the effects of the UV will be negated by to high of water flow.

Thanks for the info, turns out my tomato clown which is a pretty good size plus my sailfin tang are the ones creating the problem, my daughter says she has seen the clown chase the angels, I ave a few times but not to much, I was surprised, did not think clown fish were nasty like that, also my sailfin tang as become very nasty towards any fish added to my tank, he has killed all tree of my angels so I decided to go with something a little nasty , I got a small lion fish and an adult emperor angel ,was told this angel is nasty. when I was watching him in the store he was chasing off the tangs from the food ,thought thats the fish I need as he has the same adtitude as my tang
The angels he killed so fare are a small flame-coral beauty and a candy striped angel
The guy at he store told me emperor angels more so adults are nasty so I hope thats true
What's real funny is I have a small huma triger who is so mellow and nice but my tomato clown is so nasty
My tang is already starting in with the new angel ,hope that's because he is new and will show his nastiness once he feels at home that will change if not I will be looking for a soho tang, that would change the sailfins ways

You could try removing gthe aggresive one for a week, kind of a "time out" of sorts. I hear this works wonders...

Some clowns are that way. My Second clown fish was mean, mean, mean! I took it back to the lfs and traded it for another which is as passive as could be. :wink:

I have a Koran that was a bully to all the fish. He would not let them eat or go into the rocks. I put him into the QT tank for one week. When I put him back into the main tank he was completely different. To this day he does not bother the other fish. I dont know if it works for all though.... It is worth a try to have a peaceful tank. :lol:

My tang is a bully to the angle bet not as much and it looks like the angel is not really afraid of him, he will avoid him at times and then again go right for him at times ,sounds to me like maybe he is working his way to taking over, not sure my tang will let that happen
My clown has settled down now that I added the angel and the lion fish, seems like anything close to his size he gets nasty but anything biger or nasty he becomes the nicest fish

The big angel should become the "boss" of the tank. They are fairly aggresive fish and have the size and strength to back it up.

Back
Top Bottom