What's my damsel doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

24 hours? NE!

Aquarium Advice Freak
My yellow-tailed damsel started corner guarding today. He's been in the upper corner for nearly the entire day and won't move much. He's got a couple of scales that look loose, but other than that no one has been seen picking on him. Sometimes he warns others from coming too close, other times he ignores them.

Anything I should be worried about? I'm not going to cry over my damsel, but I don't want anything affecting the other fish.

Normal behavior for any type of damsel. It is in their nature to "claim" territory. Which fish it decides to fend off will depend on how much of a threat it may be. You will usually see an escalation of this behavior as it nears lights out time.

The scale loss should be nothing to worry about either. Most likely from it's own posturing behavior. Keep an eye on it to be sure it does not get worse though.

Cheers
Steve

I haven't seen this damsel (or my other one) behave like this before. He started yesterday afternoon and has been there all day today. He's not really being that aggressive, just hanging out at the top of the water and looking upset.

The scales don't look any worse. Thanks.

24 hours? NE! said:
He's not really being that aggressive, just hanging out at the top of the water and looking upset.
Any signs of abbrassion or stress behavior? Surface gulping? Faded color?

I still think it will be behavioral or a mating display but best to be sure.

Cheers
Steve

Mine does it too. He "guards" this little hole in a rock where he sleeps. When he "forces" intruders away, he does it by "pushing" them with his body. That could be how yours got the loose scales.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom