3rd angel fish to die... why are they dying....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't understand this... I had 2 angel fish small ones I got like a month ago... One is growing really fast and is doing fine.. the other died like 4 days ago... I checked my water and it was fine... I got another one.. he died 2 days later... he started hiding, stopped eating started getting clamped fins.. then boom dead... So I got a 3rd one and he is dying now too.... Same symptoms... hides. stops eating, clamped fins and floating around now...

What is the problem ? These things are worse then neon tetra's..

My 55g water params are Ammoni, Nitrite 0.. Nitrate 10, PH 7.8, temps 78f, KH 3, GH 5... Everything seems perfect the PH is a little high though... Im wondering could it be that ? None of the fish in the tank bother them.. At first I thought it was because my heater died and my temps went down to 74-75f but 2 more angel are doing it and I have a new heater...

I tried putting the current one in another tank with less water current thinking its the current in the 55g I have that's stressing him out.. The 55g has a a lot of water movement.... but Im not sure.. he got worse today in a slower current tank...

Soo any idea's ? Is it the PH ?? I don't see how because I tested the water in the bag from petsmart and its PH was 7.5, only a .3 difference.. And that still doesn't explain why one angel would be fine for 4 weeks then poof die.. What pisses me off too is the lady in petsmart is saying its my tank water as she tested it with strips and they said I had 1.00ppm ammonia... but my brand new and old API master kit both show exactly 0.00 ppm

The pH is not the issue. My guess would be the source of the fish. A friend who works at the local Big Al's tells me that the 2 hardest fish to keep are angels and guppies from Asia. The wild caught angels are less trouble. If you really want angels, try and find a local breeder, perhaps through a local club.
As for the temps, angels will usually do very well at 78, and I have had them breed at 74.

I noticed its these yellow ones too.. The one that's doing fine is the marbel one.. Its about the size of mmm almost the size of an API liquid bottle... I got him and the first dead angel together they were like the size of a quarter.. I think hes fine because he swims around and loves eating... but the original yellow one died and what I don't get still is why did he die 4 weeks later and now 2 more die in days... But why is the other one perfectly fine if its the water then wouldn't he be dead too I dunno....... Im just going to go back to petsmart and get my money back I guess and try petco again... sadly I have 0 local fish store in my area... They are all out of business..

The only 2 I have left don't sell angels, and all I have is petsmart and petco... and well Wal-Mart... I did see one there I liked the other day... I guess I could try them and the oens in Wal-Mart were bigger too not tiny penny sized ones... I have nothing to lose at this moment I guess....

Not sure what to do.. my mom likes these yellow angels... Im thinking of just keep trying until I get one that doesn't die.... but its such a darn pain... But yea I agree... I have heard guppies are a Pain that's why I have never had them... but never heard that about angels... These are truly worse then neon tetra lol

there's a ton of angel fish breeders here including me. look under the breeding forum and find the one called wigglers at last. almost all of us there breed and sell and ship. you will benefit more from buying from us even if it cost a little more . but if u look at the cost of replacing ones u have over and over u will save money buying from us or another breeder

Well there is no cost in replacing them i just return them and get my money back.. But gas isnt cheap lol.. I returned him he died yesturday.. I went to walmart and got two more.. They are the size of an api liquid bottle so much bigger.. Vs the penney sized ones that have been dying... Walmarts tanks were actually much better looking then petsmart which is surpising. They had a lot of nice fish.

So i guess well see how these two turn out..

Its the PH I found out.. I was talking to a lady who works in petsmart who is a fish tank enthusiast like our selves.. and she said everytime they get angels in the angels die within 2-3 days... She said other petsmarts in the surrounding area's don't have this issue and they use the same supplier.. The problem lies in our local water...

The PH is 7.8-8.0 and that's why the angel fish keep dying.. That's why mine keep dying... there is nothing wrong with my tank...

I just had another angel die.... geesh... But the other one and the original ive had for 1-2 months are going fine and eating like pigs... So im crossing my fingers they will be able to manage the PH..

Is there no way to lower my PH ?? Its like 7.8 in the tank and my driftwood almost fills the entire 55g lol I have tons of tannins in the water but it is doing jack squat to the PH it wont lower it.

Peat moss is known to lower ph, just put some in your filter. Don't use any chemicals to lower your ph. They are more likely to give you drastic swings and crash your entire tank.

Another thought is to acclimate them EXTREMELY slowly. This is a situation that would be appropriate to consider drip acclimation. Most fish can adapt to your water conditions given enough time.

Woodbridge Virginia.

Btw BOB MCOY one of the angels I just got from Wal-Mart looks exactly like yours.. same solor pattern and even the same yellow nose... Hes the one who is eating like a pig I got him and a solid black one 2-3 days and the black one died but hes ok... The 2nd one I have with him atm is a typical marble one hes been in the tank for a few months now I think hes fine too he swims around like crazy in the tank... The white one doesn't really swim around tough he just eats and hides... I hope he will be ok.. because if he dies im getting my money back and giving up it will be the 5th one

Back
Top Bottom