ACK! MIA fish is back, but emaciated! What to do?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, that's rather annoying...I just finished typing that whole thing and it erased my message.

Here's the gist of the message:

My fish that I said was dead is alive. He's emaciated and swimming listlessly on the top of the tank. He has some damage to his eye and side of face. He's eating, but only what's right in front of his face. The other fish are leaving him alone for now, except when I drop food in. I have a five and a half gallon I can set up as a QT tank. I'll explain in more detail about the fish and circumstances later (along with a few more questions), but right now I need to know what to do.

Do I QT? (I know it's a stupid question but I'm thinking optimistically he's going to survive and am thinking about the reintroduction)

If so, I have a few questions

:?: Is there anything special I need to do to QT besides set up the tank, siphon water from the big tank in, and drop the fish in?

:?: Should I turn off the lights, leave on the the lights, etc.?

:?: Medicate or not medicate? There seems to be superficial damage, the eye seems scratched and right behind the eye, but no gill damage and no scales are missing.

Is this the Kenyii??
Is there anything special I need to do to QT besides set up the tank, siphon water from the big tank in, and drop the fish in?
no--rinse it out first to get rid of any dust
Should I turn off the lights, leave on the the lights, etc.?
My QT tanks don't have their own lights, and room light seems fine. We never leave a room lit up just for the QT tank though.
Medicate or not medicate? There seems to be superficial damage, the eye seems scratched and right behind the eye, but no gill damage and no scales are missing.
Melafix to reduce the chance of secondary infrections.

Is this the Kenyii??

yep :D In my tank, because I have around 50# of rock, my fish sometimes disappear. Sometimes I find a dead body, sometimes I just don't see them for a day or so. I don't want to move the rock around too much, because like in this case the fish may still be alive and I may move a rock and crush him. I just assumed since I didn't see him for a week and a half he was dead. It's happened twice before, and I just monitor the water parameters to make sure there's no ammonia spike. He's in the QT tank now, still swimming near the top. I put a few flakes of food in and he's eating though--so far the prognosis is good. I do have to run out and get some melafix though.

He's doing well, eating in the QT tank, and pretty responsive. I'm probably going to give him until the end of next week, and then reintroduce him...which, of course, involves moving all my rocks around. I have another post--I'm thinking about incorporating pcv tubing with my rocks to make safer caves for them. Still in the brainstorming, but I hope to have something before I reintroduce the cichlid.

Hi shawmutt

I'm working on a similar angle for my own tank. using pvc tubing for safer and easier to clean caves. theres a thread in teh diy forum that gave me some good ideas, i can't find the link atm but i'll look harder later and edit. you might want to scan for that if you haven't seen it yet.

when i went to home depot to look for pvc candidates, i found a lot of the couplers and Y joint pipes gave me inspiration. i also got an idea to stick a pvc pipe.. cap(?) on the back of a tank, basically a wall mounted cave if you will. something like this.. http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...ID=ccdgadcldlegigdcgelceffdfgidgnl.0&MID=9876 with a hole cut into it and suction cupped to the back of the tank. i want to glue gravel and fake plants to it to hide it better too.. I don't think it would work in my 20g long, but someone with a bigger tank could definately make good use of it.

hmm, this should be in the DIY forum.. I'll start a thread there when I get home..

shawmutt, how big is your tank? What kind of filter do you have? I'm would be worried about the fish deaths and not ignore them.

Regarding PVC piping, they work great. I glue some of the rocks from my substrate to the outside using aquarium silicone glue so it blends in.

shawmutt , how big is your tank? What kind of filter do you have? I'm would be worried about the fish deaths and not ignore them.

I have a 30 gallon long, with an Filstar XP1 filter. 20% of the water is changed weekly, ro water is used with additives. Not sure what you mean by fish deaths...none died.

I have a follow up thread started here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=21283&highlight=

Just moved the fish out of QT, prognosis is not very good. I spent 2 hours moving my rocks, but my male kenyi found a territory almost immediately and started going after everyone else. All the other fish are getting out of the way, but the one from QT is still weak and can't get away. I made a special cave for him, but he doesn't look good :( Not sure what to do from here but wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom