albino pristella tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishnova

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have six albino pristella tetras in a planted ten gallon. One of the tetras almost always is slower than the rest, aswell as not eating...at least I have not seen her eat yet!

I noticed today one of her fins is torn, do pristella tetras do that to each other??? (Nip)..

My parameters are all zero except for nitrates, which are usually 10-20 ppm

I just did a pwc; it did not seem to help.
Do I just keep an eye on her??

Also, how long after a fish death does the body start to decompose?

I have my temp at 82 degrees.

82 degrees is pretty darn hot..... I'd bring it down slowly to about 78.

Most species will nip now and again. Clean water is the best thing you can do for fin damage. Also, you could try soaking their food in Garlic Guard and Vita-Chem to boost their immune systems.

I would think decomp starts immediately after death. If you do not catch it in time, the other fish will consume the dead fish to keep the bacteria level in the tank down.

I forgot to mention I bought them from petco. They are almost always icked up, so I didn't want to take the chance even though no symptoms are showing.

I will reduce the the temp in two weeks.

The tetra is in a filtered, but unheated1.5 gallon... My only qt tank, unfortunately.

She is dying, I will euthanize her when I get off work if she is not already dead.

I asked the decomposing question incase she died with the others; I didn't want the rotting body toiling up the water for the other tetras.

Thanks for your advice. :)

A dead body wouldn't foul up the tank that quickly. I do a head count every day with my smaller community fish to ensure no one is missing.

Did you mean that the fish at your Petco almost always have ich? If so, I would not buy there. Period.

Fishnova said:
I forgot to mention I bought them from petco. They are almost always icked up, so I didn't want to take the chance even though no symptoms are showing.

I will reduce the the temp in two weeks.

The tetra is in a filtered, but unheated1.5 gallon... My only qt tank, unfortunately.

She is dying, I will euthanize her when I get off work if she is not already dead.

I asked the decomposing question incase she died with the others; I didn't want the rotting body toiling up the water for the other tetras.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Im sorry, a decomposing body wont fould up the tank that quickly, but i get it. Also, if you suspect ick, 82 wont do anything. 86 will make it die, but since you ser no symptoms yet, i also get it haha.
Sorry about your fish

Cool. Thanks guys, I bought the tetras because they were on sale.

They are doing great; they even come to the front of the tank when I come near them. :p

Back
Top Bottom