Ammonia Burns on Goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's still going but I feel he's only gotten worse. I'm able to handfeed him but it takes a lot of effort on his part now to get the pellet in his mouth. Scales are noticeably sticking up too. I really feel its not dropsy, and he is still able to stay upright so for now his swimbladder is ok. I will probably try and feed him some peas soon in case he's blocked up.

If tomorrow he doesn't eat then I'll switch him to QT and dose with General Cure. Though if it gets to that then....well yeah.

For now he's alive and upright, so I guess that's something.

Just giving another update. Avalon is doing worse but is still struggling very hard. Unfortunately, he's gotten to weak to eat the Metro Med and has been moved into our 3 gallon and started treating with General Cure. He is able to eat regular pellets as they are much smaller.

I must confess that his confinement to the 3 gallon is more of an effort to keep his final days as comfortable as possible. This way he won't be fighting a powerful filter or pushed around by the other goldfish.

It would take a miracle and then some to restore his health, but I will keep treating for as long as he keeps fighting.

Keep in mind that this thread is largely staying updated for anyone who may have a future problem similar to this one to have a basis of advice to work from.

What sucks is seeing what was once the happiest, healthiest, most active little fish ever suffering so awfully now. His only crime was enjoying life, and more importantly food. I'll update this at least once more in the future to let those know what happened, if it does happen, for now I don't feel there's anything more than can be done than what I'm already doing.

Final Update:

Avalon passed away this morning. I was next to him as he took his final breath. It was heartbreaking but I'm relieved to know that he is no longer suffering. He's been buried next to his friend Goldeen, with a flower planted next to them.

jlk, I sincerely want to thank you for all your help and advice. He didn't live, but I do feel more ok knowing that I tried everything possible and he didn't die from something I could have stopped. So thank you.

I am truly sorry, Arok. :( You did your absolute best for him and I hope you have some peace with this knowledge. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need help in the future.

Back
Top Bottom