Anchor worms??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkfalcon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I saw some sort of white thread behind my swordtail platy's fin. It's kind of thick and short. I stumbled upon similar pictures in the internet when I was searching for sick/ill fish.

How to cure it??

Note: I've moved it into a quarantined tank, his photo will be uploaded within the next few minutes after I post this

TIA

I dont know if your fish has "anchor worms" but if you are sure they do the correct medicine is praziquentel.

I dont know if your fish has "anchor worms" but if you are sure they do the correct medicine is praziquentel.

Praziquentel?? Ok I'll look for it

I took out the worms, and they look white yet transparent. they're quite long, and their "head" is like the head of a mace. Like a ball with spikes.

I guess I'll look for this Praziquentel to terminate the worms' eggs.

I've searched through the net about praziquentel. Found out that you can find them in human medicine as well. But I can only find pirantel in my nearest store. Can I use it instead?

Oh and I found something else today at my pond. It looks like a hair/thread (your hair) but it is white. They're small not big yet. Kinda hard to see when they are not moving. Because when they move, you can tell the difference between them and your hair right away. They move in a zig-zag pattern (their head stays still, but their body will move zig-zagly like that of a sneak) but their body wiggles fast (doesn't move fast tho).and their zig-zag pattern is so sharp, unlike any other normal worms or snakes, their zig-zag pattern is quite wide and sharp. Do you know what these are?? I found them inside my bucket full of water (where there exist gravels in which I'm cleaning). Are they dangerous?

Im not familiar with any external worms, mine always get the gut worms like camallanus.
Worms cannot stand high salanity, maybe mix in some sea salt half the water in a bucket and stir for 45 minutes and gradually add to the tank over the night....depending on how much salanity platies can tolerate, i know guppies and mollies can tolerate Brackish water quite easily, even if added quickly. Never been a problem with my guppies or mollies, and i have just thrown them into brackish water before.
Try to call pets stores or veternarian and search for any anti-worm medicine.
Fenbendazole
Praziquentel
Levimasole

They sound like detritus worms. If that's the case, I'd ignore them. To be safe, some pics/videos might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom